Join for free
Page 7 of 11 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 10:59 AM

Re: I may end up with another cat!

Originally Posted by summer ->
We get so attached don't we I'm still getting over losing Tuppy she was such a character and so pretty. Hope your Pumpkin is OK JBR

I'm so happy for Mr Grey ....he landed on his feet finding our Twinks
We do indeed.
Thanks Summer. Pumpkin seems back to normal.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Wow, I get up this morning and find all theses posts!

First let me say that i am really pleased that Pumpkin is feeling a bit better, JBR.

Our pets are a bit like children to us, because they need our care and attention, and good wishes from other pet lovers on this forum often help us deal with some of the problems they have.
Summer, it is always sad when we lose our lovely pets but I have found that, after we have come to terms with losing them, we may still miss them but our memories of them usually are the happy times they gave us.

Mr Grey is becoming very smart because yesterday I saw him wondering off in the field , so I shouted his name. He turned round & when he saw me he immediately came back to the house. I don't think he loves me so much that he wanted to come back, he just realized that if he hears my voice there is a good chance he will get some more chicken.
That's great! A cat coming to you when you call its name is a definite sign that they know and trust you. Your hard work has paid off!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

04-09-2020, 11:05 AM

It's nice to know that there are so many cat lovers on here and I think it's a lovely thing that we all seem to support each other.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
It's nice to know that there are so many cat lovers on here and I think it's a lovely thing that we all seem to support each other.
I think we all gain some knowledge from having pets & when we share that knowledge it helps us understand our pets better.
One thing I have learned, to help win the trust of a cat, is to look at them and blink very slowly.I am sure some cat owners have seen that on the internet, but the RSPCA gave me another tip that works really well......

After you have done 2 slow blinks, turn your head to one side & it is likely that the cat will do the same when he starts to trust you.
So far Mr Grey has started to come when I call him ( providing he is within earshot & he seems much more relaxed when I blink. THEY ARE MUCH BETTER IF YOU CAN SQUAT TO GET DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL...but my knees are a but painful at the moment, so i just have to get as low as I can!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

04-09-2020, 12:15 PM

I think we all gain some knowledge from having pets & when we share that knowledge it helps us understand our pets better.
One thing I have learned, to help win the trust of a cat, is to look at them and blink very slowly.I am sure some cat owners have seen that on the internet, but the RSPCA gave me another tip that works really well......

After you have done 2 slow blinks, turn your head to one side & it is likely that the cat will do the same when he starts to trust you.
So far Mr Grey has started to come when I call him ( providing he is within earshot & he seems much more relaxed when I blink. THEY ARE MUCH BETTER IF YOU CAN SQUAT TO GET DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL...but my knees are a but painful at the moment, so i just have to get as low as I can!
Yes, that's exactly what I do, though I haven't seen it explained. I think it's pure logic.

If a cat is surprised or uneasy in some way, their eyes will be wide open and alert in case of any danger. The same would be the case if the cat is about to attack or pounce on a prey.

I keep my eyes half closed in an attempt to show the cat that I'm relaxed and not about to do anything unexpected, and slow blinking also helps.

I haven't tried intentionally turning my head to the side, but I can understand that it would complement the appearance of being relaxed and not aggressive.

If I knew how to purr, I'd do that as well.

Act like a cat!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, that's exactly what I do, though I haven't seen it explained. I think it's pure logic.

If a cat is surprised or uneasy in some way, their eyes will be wide open and alert in case of any danger. The same would be the case if the cat is about to attack or pounce on a prey.

I keep my eyes half closed in an attempt to show the cat that I'm relaxed and not about to do anything unexpected, and slow blinking also helps.

I haven't tried intentionally turning my head to the side, but I can understand that it would complement the appearance of being relaxed and not aggressive.

If I knew how to purr, I'd do that as well.

Act like a cat!
Mr Grey and I now have Meow conversations & he has only been doing that for 3-4 weeks.
He hasn't shown his face today, so I am hoping he will be here this afternoon.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

04-09-2020, 03:33 PM

Mr Grey and I now have Meow conversations & he has only been doing that for 3-4 weeks.
He hasn't shown his face today, so I am hoping he will be here this afternoon.
That's nice, and shows you've been 'accepted'.

Both of our cats really like me playing with their nipples.
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2020, 04:33 PM

I do the blinking too (though I call it squeezy eyes ) but didn't know about the turning the head bit. Must try that, thanks for the tip
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

08-09-2020, 07:51 AM

I just wanted to share some great news with the people who have read my story about Mr Grey......

Last night I left my cat flap open with some food in the back hall & around 8.30 I peeped in to see if he had eaten it and he was fast asleep on an old cat bed that my cats no longer use.
He wasn't able to get in the rest of the house as my cats are kept in at night, but when I got up this morning he was still there waiting for breakfast.

Rudi, my cat that has asthma lives upstairs & now never goes out..so he hasn't met Mr Grey but Kit & Tammy, my other two, are tolerating him & there has been no aggression!
One of the ways I won his trust was to get down on my hands and knees & spend a little time blinking & talking to him in a quiet voice.
I will let you all know when he allows me to stroke him.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 08:09 AM

Aww twink that is lovely

Page 7 of 11 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top