Join for free
Page 4 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 03:40 PM

Re: TV licenses and the over 75s

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
We'll continue to pay, not for BBC TV which is 90% awful, but for the other services that BBC provides.
What other services?

Radio?
World Service (free to everyone except Brits!)?
Political support (of the Labour Party and the Limp Dems)?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
What other services?

Radio?
You can listen to the "Wild Service" as Dave Lee Travis used to call it on DAB radio, Sky radio channel 0115, Freeview radio, BBC Sounds (BBC website), and, overnight, from 0100 to 0530 hours UK time, on the BBC R4 frequencies 92-95 FM and 198 kHz long wave.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 03:50 PM

Show me your evidence.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one
About your TV Licence

This licence lets you use and install TV receiving equipment at the licensed place. You are covered to:
watch and record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, including programmes streamed over the internet and satellite programmes from outside the UK, and
watch and download BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer.
This can be on any device, including TVs, desktop computers, laptops, mobile phones, tablets, games consoles, digital boxes, DVD, Blu-ray and VHS recorders, or anything else.
You and anyone who normally lives here with you can:

Use and install TV receiving equipment here at the licensed place.
Use and install TV receiving equipment in vehicles, boats and caravans (except non-touring caravans when someone is watching or recording TV at the licensed place).
Use TV receiving equipment anywhere on any device powered solely by its own internal batteries.
I rest my case.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 04:02 PM

Hi

I am quite happy to pay.

I loathe adverts interrupting my viewing.

Adverts are just a race to the bottom.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
You can listen to the "Wild Service" as Dave Lee Travis used to call it on DAB radio, Sky radio channel 0115, Freeview radio, BBC Sounds (BBC website), and, overnight, from 0100 to 0530 hours UK time, on the BBC R4 frequencies 92-95 FM and 198 kHz long wave.
If that's what you want to do, fine, but you don't need a TV licence to do it!

Go on. Cancel it!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 04:20 PM

What other services?

Radio?
Internet delivered services, archives, local broadcast news and weather.

Radio is a huge area of great value in itself.

There's radio 1, 1X, 2XS, 3, 4, DAB side broadcasts, Radio 4X, 5, 6 and on top of that iPlayer etc. Then there's BBC local radio on top of even that.

All of which have to be paid for.

Then of course there's the little matter of the broadcast infrastructure ---
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 04:22 PM

If that's what you want to do, fine, but you don't need a TV licence to do it!

Go on. Cancel it!
But it still has to be paid for and a substantial amount comes from license fees.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

12-07-2020, 04:25 PM

I'm afraid you're mistaken.

I own television receiving equipment, but am not obliged to pay a fee for it.
If you do not watch any live broadcast television programmes or any BBC catch-up programmes, you need not have a licence even if you have a television capable of receiving them.

I have read through all the details supplied by TV Licensing and, just for good measure, I have removed the aerial leads from both of our tellies.
Originally Posted by Emjay ->
JBR.
I have just been on the TV licensing pages and they still state that the licence is for ‘TV receiving equipment’. I would like to know where you saw the changes to this.
Thanking you in eager anticipation.
Show me your evidence.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one
Originally Posted by Emjay ->
About your TV Licence

This licence lets you use and install TV receiving equipment at the licensed place. You are covered to:
watch and record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, including programmes streamed over the internet and satellite programmes from outside the UK, and
watch and download BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer.
This can be on any device, including TVs, desktop computers, laptops, mobile phones, tablets, games consoles, digital boxes, DVD, Blu-ray and VHS recorders, or anything else.
You and anyone who normally lives here with you can:

Use and install TV receiving equipment here at the licensed place.
Use and install TV receiving equipment in vehicles, boats and caravans (except non-touring caravans when someone is watching or recording TV at the licensed place).
Use TV receiving equipment anywhere on any device powered solely by its own internal batteries.
I rest my case.
Look at the two emboldened sections above.

Please provide proof that I need a TV licence in order to possess TV receiving equipment.

Please read your last post carefully, especially:
"This licence lets you use and install TV receiving equipment at the licensed place."

That's very kind of them, but I have installed and use TV receiving equipment and I don't have a TV licence.

I just don't watch any live broadcast programmes or any BBC catch-up programmes.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

12-07-2020, 04:45 PM

To clarify further, here are more extracts from the TV licensing web sites:

Do I need a TV Licence if I only ever watch on demand services (like catch up TV), DVDs or downloaded programmes?

You don’t need a licence if you only ever watch on demand or catch up programmes on services other than BBC iPlayer (and you also never watch live TV programmes on any channel, including on iPlayer).

You also don’t need a licence to watch DVDs, Blu-rays or videos.

You need a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand. This applies to any device and provider you use.

When don’t I need a TV Licence?

You don’t need a TV Licence if you:

never watch or record live TV programmes on any channel and
never download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Chances are that they'll add a handling charge for anything other than DD. Maybe not this year, but when it's up for renewal.
No doubt about that, I am not going to pay, I will wait and see what happens about the threat from Boris to decriminalise non-payment, I think I can handle a stiff talking too or a smacked leg

Page 4 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top