Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 12:51 AM

Work for the Dole?

Job seekers in remote communities will face tougher rules than those in the city under a new work-for-the-dole program, as the Government tries to end "sit-down welfare".

Welfare recipients in remote rural communities will be expected to work for the dole 25 hours per week, 5 days per week, 12 months of the year.

The scheme already running in selected city and regional areas requires job seekers to take part for only six months a year.

The Indigenous Affairs Minister says a new remote work-for-the-dole scheme is not discriminatory, despite warnings from welfare groups that "double standards" are being applied.

What do you think of this? Is it fair?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 09:13 AM

Re: Work for the Dole?

Dare say it wouldn't be long before the City and Regional areas conformed once a precedent has been set. As for fairness of the principal, I guess everyone who it does not effect at this present moment in time will think it's fair, but this is true of most things. Imo.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 09:13 AM

Not fair at all, if a rule for benefit applies it should apply to all.
greg
nottingham-Derby Border
greg is male  greg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 09:18 AM

Tbh bruce,im unsure,mainly because i know nothing about australias situation regarding "rural",is it mainly aboriginal population they are on about?.
if so i can see it ending tears because of picking on a singular group.
Cant give a thoughout response ,sorry chap.not much help i know.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 09:20 AM

Think it would be abused by unscrupulous businesses for cheap labour, and what happens to the workers who were doing the jobs anyway ?
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 11:24 AM

I agree with you Norm. Does this mean they will get a paid job
eventually. Are they being trained at the same time. Why if
it is just Aborigines are they making them the scapegoats for
no jobs. It should apply to everyone to make it fair and not
as it would seem discrimination to the minority.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 11:29 AM

Sadly it wouldn't surprise me if it applied to aborigines. Apparently they get treated terribly. Made to feel like second class citizens, when infact, they were first!
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 11:34 AM

It is difficult to comment. But I didn't think that unemployment was a big problem in Australia. I have four close family members who moved there three years ago and they had no problem finding work. I know it's a vast area so maybe some areas are more affected than others.
If, like Greg suggests, it's aimed at the Aboriginal people, then there could well be trouble. From what I am led to believe, they are not a people who like to conform and who's to say they are wrong.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
It is difficult to comment. But I didn't think that unemployment was a big problem in Australia. I have four close family members who moved there three years ago and they had no problem finding work. I know it's a vast area so maybe some areas are more affected than others.
If, like Greg suggests, it's aimed at the Aboriginal people, then there could well be trouble. From what I am led to believe, they are not a people who like to conform and who's to say they are wrong.
mm I can agree with what you've said about unemployment not being a problem for most. When there the other week for three weeks, everyone had been working and were retired, after making a lot of money. The youngest was 52. His 45 year old partner did not need to work because he had earned enough money for them both. Another couple who emigrated about 35 years ago, with their two young daughter, realised that after going there, the wife couldn't really manage to go to work with regards to childcare. The husband's new employer asked him what he WANTED for a salary, and he grouped in his and hers, and she's never worked a day since . A different world for some. It was them who were talking about the poor aborigines. Treated like crap. How awful is that? Ill divided as can often happen in the world.
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

12-01-2015, 08:09 PM

One of the conservatives more stupid ideas. If there is work to be done, offer them a paid job. Not try to get them to work for below minimum wage. What about administration costs, insurance, transportation to and fro from work. This is another conservative plan which will cost more than it saves. I would agree to people being offered a set of employement opportunities and if they refused suspend their dole money for two or three weeks but spending more tax payers money just to say they are doing something is completely ridiculous. All MP's should have to go on a training course before they take office and that should include one month on the dole so they realise how difficult it is trying to live on about £100.00 a week. For so called business men they should be ashamed of themselves.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top