Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 11:41 AM

Re: What has happened to word ?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Either way your files are at risk. If you go on the cloud then I totally agree that's a con. I mean who actually owns the data ? If they can delete it then it's not us.

But if you keep files locally then there is the risk that eventually the systems are obsolete and you won't be able to access them no matter how backed up. The external hard drives may be obsolete after a while because they deliberately change technology to create new markets.

MS office are trying to force us to abandon local networks and data storage and move to the cloud. An example is how excel no longer has a default option to file share across a LAN. You now have to search for that button and it's being called "legacy". legacy-schmegacy I can think of rude words for what they are doing by stealth.

It's impossible to know where to keep things securely unless you print it and stick it in a fire proof safe!
I believe I have as good a system as any (though I stand to be corrected!).

Routinely, whenever I save a new or modified file I copy it to both OneDrive and Dropbox (two places on 'the cloud'). Belt and braces; if one goes down for any reason, there is the other one.

They are my backup for only a few weeks, though, because then I copy all of those files to both of my external hard drives. Again, belt and braces!

So at any time all of my files are in three different places, so if one is attacked by an American drone (sorry, just watching the news!) I still have two.

This is something I'd recommend.

The cloud storage places have never failed and the two external hard drives are only a few quid (well, around £30 or so) each.

It's all about peace of mind.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 12:02 PM

After a totally sleepless night I have been crawling around in the attic found the computer box and the licence yippee !
Now I need to have it put back in so am taking it into the shop and hopefully they will do it for me .
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
After a totally sleepless night I have been crawling around in the attic found the computer box and the licence yippee !
Now I need to have it put back in so am taking it into the shop and hopefully they will do it for me .
I hope you have a much better day with more success than yesterday.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I believe I have as good a system as any (though I stand to be corrected!).

Routinely, whenever I save a new or modified file I copy it to both OneDrive and Dropbox (two places on 'the cloud'). Belt and braces; if one goes down for any reason, there is the other one.

They are my backup for only a few weeks, though, because then I copy all of those files to both of my external hard drives. Again, belt and braces!

So at any time all of my files are in three different places, so if one is attacked by an American drone (sorry, just watching the news!) I still have two.

This is something I'd recommend.

The cloud storage places have never failed and the two external hard drives are only a few quid (well, around £30 or so) each.

It's all about peace of mind.
That's about as much as you can do to store files safely digitally. The only drawback being an unlikely (hopefully) complete and long-term failure of world-wide electricity supplies. Then we might wish our documents were all printed out and locked away in a waterproof/fireproof safe. I actually have one of those.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
That's about as much as you can do to store files safely digitally. The only drawback being an unlikely (hopefully) complete and long-term failure of world-wide electricity supplies. Then we might wish our documents were all printed out and locked away in a waterproof/fireproof safe. I actually have one of those.
Actually, I'm alright there. I expect such a thing to happen and so I have a donkey on a treadmill-generator in my garage!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 12:58 PM

Thank you everyone .
I bought a new computer last year and it seems you can’t buy Microsoft office once and for all anymore .
You have to pay on a yearly or monthly basis .
I had forgotten this so my time is up .
I am however worried about my document,ents already made I can’t open them .
In common with a few others on this forum, I bought a 'reintroduced' activation key - keys that were put back into the public domain as the corporate computers they were on originally were scrapped or replaced. They were available from Amazon for around 12 quid if memory serves. Once purchased, you download the MS Office suite from Microsoft, install it, and then used the activation key.

I've used my copy of Office Pro 2016 for a good while now with no problems. I needed the suite for Access, and Outlook but Word and Excel work well too. All the required updates and security patches are installed from time to time also.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 02:42 PM

I went to do a word document today .
A box came up saying updating Microsoft office please wait .
Them another box saying it failed .
I only ever use word and office was put on ages ago .
Is this some sort of ruse to make me buy it again ?
I’d there any other way to do a simple document on windows 10?
Hi Muddy, I always use Google Documents. They have more or less the same as word, spreadsheets etc, and it's free to use.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 03:28 PM

I really don't see the problem.
Just spend £7 for a new download and key.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
In common with a few others on this forum, I bought a 'reintroduced' activation key - keys that were put back into the public domain as the corporate computers they were on originally were scrapped or replaced. They were available from Amazon for around 12 quid if memory serves. Once purchased, you download the MS Office suite from Microsoft, install it, and then used the activation key.

I've used my copy of Office Pro 2016 for a good while now with no problems. I needed the suite for Access, and Outlook but Word and Excel work well too. All the required updates and security patches are installed from time to time also.

Simples
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 04:25 PM

That's good. I bet you are relieved after all that.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top