Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 05:43 PM

Re: Where's all the Jobs then?

Mups, if Steve is working in a home for disabled people, my guess is he is already CRB checked.

Good luck with the search.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Plenty of folk want gardeners but I do mean just weeding and `tidying up` It`s no way to a fortune but as a guide I pay mine £15 an hour.
Nothing wrong with being a jobbing gardener-mine has a son who has just been accepted at UCL
I had thought of this OG and I've been through all the costings etcetera and it's a bit of a risk for us to be honest, especially as it seems to be mainly seasonal.

As a gardener I know that non-gardeners and even those who profess to know "a bit about gardening" usually dismiss the Winter time as a time when nobody does gardening and, as most gardeners know, it's simply not the case - ask Monty Don!

My costing had to include changing our car for a van - wife not happy about that at all, but tentative enquiries that I made found that £12 per hour was the most people would cough up but what they expected for that was rather OTT!

A bloke just up the road offered me work in his garden quite some time ago.

He wanted to pay me "a good drink" and expected me to leap at the chance of digging-out his 122 foot, badly-neglected garden completely, creating flower beds and raised beds, building decking and paving a patio - in one week.

That's what you're up against unfortunately.

I also had some sh**bag anonymously snail-mail me telling me not to go up against him as "this area's mine" as he put it - brain-dead moron.

So at the moment it's hit the 'net every night and see what's about.

I've done warehouse work - sign-in, turn off brain but if I have to, I'll do it again but I'm halfway through a Royal Mail application, wondering whether to go for it.

It's at a depot I've worked at as a temp so I know the score and I know 40% of the "walks" as I've done them, plus I've done sorting there too.

Still hurts though to think of leaving the job I REALLY wanted to do - working to make the lives of disabled people just that bit better.

If / when I leave, it'll hurt me and I know some of them will be upset.

They're more my friends than anyone I work with because I'm disabled too and they know that. stevmk2
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 07:28 PM

My costing had to include changing our car for a van - wife not happy about that at all, but tentative enquiries that I made found that £12 per hour was the most people would cough up but what they expected for that was rather OTT!

£12 an hour?? tell them to go forth and multiply.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
£12 an hour?? tell them to go forth and multiply.
Exactly OG.

It all looks great on paper but people seem to think that gardening as a business is a hobby business and want to pay accordingly, or at least around here they do!

I've even considered a Man and Van type of thing but how the Hell do I get any work if I can't use the 'phone?

Unfortunately I'm stuffed no matter what I do but I'll keep looking and I'll keep trying.

I've got Polish neighbours across the road so if they can find work and work for their ever-increasing circle of friends visiting, perhaps they'd help me out.

After all, I helped them out with a garden problem last month!

If you can't beat 'em........

stevmk2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I've even considered a Man and Van type of thing but how the Hell do I get any work if I can't use the 'phone?
stevmk2
Hi Steve I have used these people and they were excellent...
http://www.anyvan.com/cheap-furniture-delivery
it was all done online, I didn't speak to anyone on the phone.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 11:23 PM

Not sure that is what Steve meant Meg? He said how would he get work if he can't use the phone, not how could he get a van. That's how I interpreted it anyway.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2014, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Not sure that is what Steve meant Meg? He said how would he get work if he can't use the phone, not how could he get a van. That's how I interpreted it anyway.
Hi Mups the link I posted is about getting work by providing a delivery service and you book the service online not on the phone.

I bought some stuff on ebay and used the service to find someone to collect and deliver the item and I arranged it all without using a phone. It was very good.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

29-08-2014, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Mups the link I posted is about getting work by providing a delivery service and you book the service online not on the phone.
I bought some stuff on ebay and used the service to find someone to collect and deliver the item and I arranged it all without using a phone. It was very good.
The one problem with this idea, and it is a good idea, is that you have no way of knowing or gauging what your likely income is going to be, and that's a risk that many of us on low incomes simply cannot afford to take.

The whole point is giving up a job that more or less guarantees a person X-amount of hourly-paid income, regardless of the conditions one has to endure, to take-on a risky enterprise that might not provide a living income on a regular basis, is fraught with danger.

This dilemma is common for just about all of those trying to keep their heads above water who do not wish to become a burden on the state; not a good move these days, and thousands upon thousands are in this predicament.

My particular problem is that no matter what I do, my poor hearing is going impinge on anything that I try to do to help myself yet that simple fact is ignored by the DWP so the feeling one gets from that is that this Government doesn't give a toss for the people that, potentially, could re-elect them.

So, what's the answer?

I see that the Conservatives are losing MPs to UKIP - GOOD!

Unlike Millipede and his lack-lustre "oppos"

When are we in the UK going to develop a spine and kick the s**t out of these piss-poor politicians? stevmk2
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 04:58 PM

Steve, no doubt I've completely misunderstood your posts, but I fail to see the connection between your problems and the government. Is it somehow the government's fault that you are deaf and in your sixties, or are you saying that because of your circumstances the government should provide you with a job even if one doesn't exist?

Isn't it just time you stopped blaming everyone else for your ills and accept that we can't all have everything we want, because sometimes life just sucks and it's really nobody's fault, and ultimately our personal situation just comes down to nothing more that the fickle hand of fate.....
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2014, 05:20 PM

Writing a long post takes time-I think Steve`s grumble might be with the DWP. Can you breath? Can you lift a two ounce load?-OK fit for work next please.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top