Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 09:24 PM

Re: What has happened to word ?

One Drive is Microsoft's Cloud storage. I'm not sure about OneDrive's rules but if files are saved on the computer as you say, they can only be deleted by you. Do you keep back-ups of your files? If not, best to plug a USB stick into your computer and copy the files onto it. Safely remove the USB stick when done and keep it somewhere safe.

Then, even though this problem isn't resolved, you'll know your files are safely backed up whatever happens.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Microsoft didn’t say deleted ( that’s was what pc world said ) MS said they may be disabled or difficult to access ..
If they are in the Cloud, that may be true. If you are on a subscription service and the subscription runs out, files may eventually be deleted. Read here to find out more, especially under the heading 'What happens after my subscription expires?'

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/off...o365-worldwide

You would normally get plenty of notice after the subscription ends to download and back-up your files. However, if the files are stored on your hard drive, it won't matter if the subscription runs out. You'd still have your files stored on the computer while deciding what else to do, especially if you have them backed up as well.

I'm not aware that Microsoft does a lifetime licence for Office 365 but if you buy the Home and Student version (around £90) or Office Home & Business version (around £250), the licences on these continue to be valid forever.

https://products.office.com/en-gb/buy/office

If you don't have either of these, then the subscription expires when the year is up and the above period of time to retrieve files from the Cloud is set in motion ..but you already have the files on your computer?

Edit: Another thought. Why don't you take the computer to a more local and trusted independent small repair shop and explain what is going on. There are some pretty clever people out there who can check out the state of things. There's sometimes no substitute for someone actually being there who is able to see and get their hands on the computer.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 10:59 PM

As I understand it M$ Office 2016 was the last version that could be bought on a disk. All versions since then have to be downloaded but they are still a one off purchase as opposed to Office 365 which is a rental product.

My limited experience with the later versions of Office, 2016 on, is that apart from a few minor cosmetic changes and added commands in Excel they are all much the same.

The only change I really don't like is the way they handle templates.

In previous editions Office stored all templates in the %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates folder but now they default to holding them in the cloud. You have to add a shortcut icon to Word to get at the templates in the old folder, in Excel getting to them is more of a problem. I really dislike this. I believe there are add ins that get round this though I have no experience of them personally.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
If they are in the Cloud, that may be true. If you are on a subscription service and the subscription runs out, files may eventually be deleted. Read here to find out more, especially under the heading 'What happens after my subscription expires?'

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/off...o365-worldwide

You would normally get plenty of notice after the subscription ends to download and back-up your files. However, if the files are stored on your hard drive, it won't matter if the subscription runs out. You'd still have your files stored on the computer while deciding what else to do, especially if you have them backed up as well.

I'm not aware that Microsoft does a lifetime licence for Office 365 but if you buy the Home and Student version (around £90) or Office Home & Business version (around £250), the licences on these continue to be valid forever.

https://products.office.com/en-gb/buy/office

If you don't have either of these, then the subscription expires when the year is up and the above period of time to retrieve files from the Cloud is set in motion ..but you already have the files on your computer?

Edit: Another thought. Why don't you take the computer to a more local and trusted independent small repair shop and explain what is going on. There are some pretty clever people out there who can check out the state of things. There's sometimes no substitute for someone actually being there who is able to see and get their hands on the computer.
Either way your files are at risk. If you go on the cloud then I totally agree that's a con. I mean who actually owns the data ? If they can delete it then it's not us.

But if you keep files locally then there is the risk that eventually the systems are obsolete and you won't be able to access them no matter how backed up. The external hard drives may be obsolete after a while because they deliberately change technology to create new markets.

MS office are trying to force us to abandon local networks and data storage and move to the cloud. An example is how excel no longer has a default option to file share across a LAN. You now have to search for that button and it's being called "legacy". legacy-schmegacy I can think of rude words for what they are doing by stealth.

It's impossible to know where to keep things securely unless you print it and stick it in a fire proof safe!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
As I understand it M$ Office 2016 was the last version that could be bought on a disk. All versions since then have to be downloaded but they are still a one off purchase as opposed to Office 365 which is a rental product.

My limited experience with the later versions of Office, 2016 on, is that apart from a few minor cosmetic changes and added commands in Excel they are all much the same.

The only change I really don't like is the way they handle templates.

In previous editions Office stored all templates in the %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates folder but now they default to holding them in the cloud. You have to add a shortcut icon to Word to get at the templates in the old folder, in Excel getting to them is more of a problem. I really dislike this. I believe there are add ins that get round this though I have no experience of them personally.
The big difference is the emphasis on pushing everyone towards the cloud whether they like it or not, but they have also made it so much harder to find anything on the menu (2010). So today I was looking for the option to set a password before you open some HR sensitive files. I could not for the life of me find it and it's another darned google to find something I used to have at the tip of my finger in the menu.

They are making the programmes more confusing for long term users and deliberately dumbing down for new users who won't know what they are missing. I find it infuriating that I have go to add new menu options when I'm really busy with something.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

03-01-2020, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Thanks Meg trouble is I have lots of documents I made in word and can’t open them l

ETA

It seems I do have word pad Meg it comes with windows 10
So I have made a document now I only have to worry about those in word that I already have .
I have open office on an older laptop and it was pretty good. It's more basic than MS word and excel but you can view older files and really who needs all the fancy features that nobody ever uses?

I used to like it in the old days when you could easily view word code. I remember using wordperfect in the 90s which was so easy to edit in. You could just click and see any rogue invisible characters that were causing formatting errors.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I have open office on an older laptop and it was pretty good. It's more basic than MS word and excel but you can view older files and really who needs all the fancy features that nobody ever uses?
That version of Open Office is just an older version of LibreOffice. Open Office is still around but LibreOffice has had greater development since Apache took over Open Office.

As I have said before I need M$ Office for VBA because it is M$'s proprietary system.

I used to like it in the old days when you could easily view word code. I remember using wordperfect in the 90s which was so easy to edit in. You could just click and see any rogue invisible characters that were causing formatting errors.
That is still the case with both Word and LibreOffice, it is only a click away, personally I have Word set up so all formatting marks are visible all the time.

To be fair the cloud can be very useful as a back up for documents. I back up all my files at home of two NASs but the cloud, Google's Drive in this case, is used to back up all my senior's club files.

However you don't have to use it even if programs like M$ Office direct you toward it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

03-01-2020, 02:40 AM

That version of Open Office is just an older version of LibreOffice. Open Office is still around but LibreOffice has had greater development since Apache took over Open Office.

As I have said before I need M$ Office for VBA because it is M$'s proprietary system.
Oh I see, I hadn't heard of the change of name but I'm glad they are still around as it's a nice little package. I wouldn't mind paying for it as it has integrity and I hope it doesn't get pushed aside by the giants.

That is still the case with both Word and LibreOffice, it is only a click away, personally I have Word set up so all formatting marks are visible all the time.

To be fair the cloud can be very useful as a back up for documents. I back up all my files at home of two NASs but the cloud, Google's Drive in this case, is used to back up all my senior's club files.

However you don't have to use it even if programs like M$ Office direct you toward it.
Bruce you must tell me how to set word up in this way. I'm sure it's just a case of ticking or un-ticking a box in advanced options but I have no idea which. I usually work out where the problem lies but it's a lot easier if you can see the dratted code.

I agree that the cloud is a great idea in theory as your data is automatically backed so if your laptop dies you have it all there. But there are huge risks in long term use. There are data governance issues which I don't believe many people understand or care about, but which governments should be addressing.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

03-01-2020, 05:28 AM

Oh I see, I hadn't heard of the change of name but I'm glad they are still around as it's a nice little package. I wouldn't mind paying for it as it has integrity and I hope it doesn't get pushed aside by the giants.

Bruce you must tell me how to set word up in this way. I'm sure it's just a case of ticking or un-ticking a box in advanced options but I have no idea which. I usually work out where the problem lies but it's a lot easier if you can see the dratted code.

I agree that the cloud is a great idea in theory as your data is automatically backed so if your laptop dies you have it all there. But there are huge risks in long term use. There are data governance issues which I don't believe many people understand or care about, but which governments should be addressing.
It depends on which version of Word you have but if it has the 'Ribbon' then look for the box with this symbol in it - ¶ Its a toggle.

It's in the Paragraph section on the ribbon in Word 2010

To make it default I just tick "Show all Formatting Marks" in Options > Display (the above toggle still works) and I also tick "show text boundaries" in Advanced Options also in Options

A number of people I know dislike this as they reckon it makes the screen too cluttered but I like it and have it on permanently.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

03-01-2020, 10:47 AM

Either way your files are at risk. If you go on the cloud then I totally agree that's a con. I mean who actually owns the data ? If they can delete it then it's not us.

But if you keep files locally then there is the risk that eventually the systems are obsolete and you won't be able to access them no matter how backed up. The external hard drives may be obsolete after a while because they deliberately change technology to create new markets.

MS office are trying to force us to abandon local networks and data storage and move to the cloud. An example is how excel no longer has a default option to file share across a LAN. You now have to search for that button and it's being called "legacy". legacy-schmegacy I can think of rude words for what they are doing by stealth.

It's impossible to know where to keep things securely unless you print it and stick it in a fire proof safe!
If you use Office 365, you have to go into it knowing or reading about the rules. As well as the use of the program, space in the Cloud is being virtually rented to the user as I see it. Stop the subscription and the program stops working. After that, it looks like 90 days notice is given to do something about downloading and storing your files elsewhere before the Cloud space is taken back.

That should be plenty of time in theory. Hopefully, Muddy's problems can be sorted out within that period or sooner. Having gained access to the Cloud storage (if that's where the files are), files can be downloaded and stored locally or somewhere else.

I take the point about no file format being reliable forever but changes tend to happen gradually. A Microsoft document can be opened in an older format for quite a while and then saved in a newer format, so perpetuating the ability to safely store MS Office files locally. External USB drives probably aren't going to go suddenly obsolete. There's likely to be time involved and adaptor leads/devices available even if this were to happen.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top