Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 11:19 AM

Re: French navy enters UK waters ??

We do not have a lot of choices when voting. I probably will never vote in a GE. Ashamed to admit that, but see no point.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Better News, in the DT, today:-

Channel migrants seeking asylum in the UK are smuggling themselves back to France because of Priti Patel’s crackdown, says a UK charity.

Care4Calais has revealed the case of an Iranian who came to Britain on a small boat but has since managed to return to Dunkirk after becoming disillusioned with his experience in the controversial Napier barracks used to house Channel migrants in Folkestone, Kent.
This is, of course, exactly what I have suggested in the past:
to make this country less attractive to them than France and other EU countries.

It seems to be working, and the government should now ensure that all illegal immigrants are caught and kept in such places as Napier barracks - effectively prison camps.

They are illegal immigrants and therefore criminals. That is what they deserve. If they want to return to France, we should supervise their return to the edge of our waters, providing them with the same boats on which they came here. No charge.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I can't see that in the Metro (and I have looked), so a link to the story please?
Not doubting you but I can't see it, besides which nowadays any migrants rescued at sea by UK forces are immediately denied asylum so why you are getting so worked up I don't know - did you want the French to ram them or sink them?
If they aren't near the coast what would you expect them to do which is within the law?

I did read this in The Times today, showing the desperation of these migrants and with a few explanations too:

"Dozens of riot police arrived at dawn to clear migrants out of the disused warehouses by a railway line in Calais that have been their home for months.

Twenty were arrested and a further 126 bussed to shelters across the region in an operation designed to allow property developers to build 50 or so homes on the site.

Hours after their eviction under the gaze of local media, the migrants began returning to the silent and deserted 60,000 sq m of abandoned property."

"The French interior ministry office in the Calais area said that police and coastguards had intercepted 50 such boats this year and detected a further ten hidden along the shoreline by people-smuggling gangs. The office said that only 27 boats had reached British waters since January 1."

'... But after making 20 attempts and being caught at the border each time, he is ready to try on a boat again, he [Rachid, a 25-yo Afghan) said. “I have one brother in Birmingham and one in Glasgow. They came through Calais like me and went to Britain and they say it is a good place. They say the police are good, the people are good. It is not like France.” '

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/o...ants-rhw6gnpd7

I know it's The Times and that it is subscription only but if you don't want to take the free trial to read the full article the above gives you the idea.

Things have changed since the new year; new legislation has been introduced which prevents migrants from trying to claim asylum if they have been rescued by UK forces whilst at sea; asylum claims can be denied if the applicants have come from a safe country where they could have claimed asylum before reaching the UK; all details must be provided when making a claim for asylum so that new challenges to prevent deportation are not allowed; and more.

Plus the cooperation between France & the UK has ramped up, with us even supplying drones for example to aid early detection.
But there will always be a limit as to what can be done - for obvious reasons for example you cannot just shoot at & puncture a dinghy at sea and international laws restrict many options.
AFAIK more measures are planned, but as with so much these things take time.

It's not a thing unique to the UK/France either; Cueta (Spain's north African enclave) regularly sees many migrants at a time illegal gaining entry there and just this weekend Sky reports on 363 migrants rescued off the Libyan coast as the Med. continues to see lots of attempted crossings into Europe.

There is no easy answer, as an Italian MEP seems to recognize.
https://www.arabnews.com/node/1816291/world
So they prefer a disused warehouse to a disused barracks ??
Strange people!!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
This is, of course, exactly what I have suggested in the past:
to make this country less attractive to them than France and other EU countries.

It seems to be working, and the government should now ensure that all illegal immigrants are caught and kept in such places as Napier barracks - effectively prison camps.

They are illegal immigrants and therefore criminals. That is what they deserve. If they want to return to France, we should supervise their return to the edge of our waters, providing them with the same boats on which they came here. No charge.
I agree, and it's time some of those who chuck Criticism at Prit Patel got their own commupence!

She's, gradually, getting us into the right place!

Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 11:38 AM

We keep hearing how the French are being paid, from our hard earned taxes, to help stop the immigrants from getting to the UK.

Fine.

But why don't they all have another look a how these immigrants are getting into France?

Dare I say that the EU lack of borders should be re-visited?

Maybe a better way to spend our money?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 12:00 PM

We keep hearing how the French are being paid, from our hard earned taxes, to help stop the immigrants from getting to the UK.

Fine.

But why don't they all have another look a how these immigrants are getting into France?

Dare I say that the EU lack of borders should be re-visited?

Maybe a better way to spend our money?
That would bugger up the EU free movement' blocks' that the EU economy is based on Ted wouldn't it ??

Donkeyman! 👍😃😃👍
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

02-03-2021, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
That would bugger up the EU free movement' blocks' that the EU economy is based on Ted wouldn't it ??

Donkeyman! 👍😃😃👍
We need to fire a Mortar at those blocks!

Note to myself - "I must go for a walk, I think I have Forum Diharrea today!"

cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 01:09 PM

I agree, and it's time some of those who chuck Criticism at Prit Patel got their own commupence!

She's, gradually, getting us into the right place!

Yes, the quicker the better!
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by cuphalffull ->
Yes, the quicker the better!
I agree but as I've said before I would rather it take a bit longer and get the right result than be hasty and have to be revised.
The new Sovereign Borders Bill is due any time now, supposedly.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

02-03-2021, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I agree but as I've said before I would rather it take a bit longer and get the right result than be hasty and have to be revised.
The new Sovereign Borders Bill is due any time now, supposedly.
Is that right ?
Let's see how long that takes then ?
Maybe you've been right all along Zaphod ! And Boris is ok after all ??
But l doubt it !!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top