Join for free
Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 05:11 PM

Re: Noisey dog in car

Good idea solo
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I thought that this was the voice of sanity and reason Cass a long time ago !
No that was the voice of someone without the slightest idea how real life works, ours come on holiday with us, need to go to the vet sometimes, like to go for walks in the woods etc all reasons they have to get in the car. Leaving them home they would get bored and be much more likely to make the neighbours lives hell.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 11:11 PM

Some dogs very obviously get lonely when left alone. ChoCho was never a problem when we had Muffin, they were both quite happy to be left at home together and never a problem to anyone. However when we lost Muffin a whole different scenario arose and ChoCho screamed and howled if left alone at home. Fortunately some neighbours have keys and they went to fetch her and take her to their homes. When we realised that ChoCho would never again be okay to be left then we made other arrangements. We are lucky that we have more than a few friends who are more than happy, eager in fact, to have her for a few hours or even overnight. So now if she canīt come with us, she goes to a doggy sitter, the only problem is that they donīt want to part with her when we fetch her back. ChoCho is such a good little dog, no trouble at all, loves everyone and everything but she had never been without Muffin, they were completely inseparable and she pined so much when we lost him. Now if she canīt come with us, or if nobody was available to have her, then we simply wouldnīt go. That situation hasnīt arisen as yet but one thing is certain, she will never be left at home on her own.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2015, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Tape the barking and play it back to the owner to show them what it is like.

That was to be my next suggestion too, Solo.

The way I see it is, dogs by nature, are not lone critters, they are gregarious animals and from choice, live together in groups.
It's us humans who mess things up, by taking them away from the only family they have known - their Mum and litter mates, then expect them to live half their life in solitary confinement. It is not natural to them.
Then even more humans come along, and complain when the dogs have the audacity to protest about the sad position they find themselves in, through no fault of their own.

People would react quite differently if it was a child left alone crying all day and every day, and the adults responsible would be in hot water very quickly. The dogs are just left to endure it.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2015, 03:14 PM

Cant someone sit beside him,maybe he would be better if he had someone beside him,could be nervous sitting on his own
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2015, 03:47 PM

Might not even need a human, when Molliepops died Betty couldn't cope with the car at all so I got her a huge fluffy toy rabbit and she cuddled up to that just like she used to with Mollie, made her much happier.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Here by law all dogs must be secured in the back of a vehicle, either by harness, crate or those gate things that stop them jumping into the front. When we had both dogs we had a crate, the sort like a cage and both dogs were quite happy in that. Since we lost little Muffin we put ChoCho on the back seat, she doesnīt like the harness but we have a sort of adjustable restrainer which just clips onto her collar and into the seat belt. If someone sat with her she was fine, but if she was alone on the back seat she was definitely not happy, she is a Shitzu and so quite small. We put a cushion in for her to sit on, result happy, she is now high enough to see I am in the front seat and sits on her cushion as good as gold, in fact it would be easy to forget she was there, we always put one of her favourite toys in with her too.

I would think that it is only sensible to restrain dogs in cars anyway.
Unless the idea of being smashed in the back of the head by a 25lb dog shaped sledgehammer traveling at 70mph is appealing.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
I would think that it is only sensible to restrain dogs in cars anyway.
Unless the idea of being smashed in the back of the head by a 25lb dog shaped sledgehammer traveling at 70mph is appealing.
I agree with you and I would think that anyone who cares about their pet would ensure it is restrained safely and comfortably. Here you would face a fine of 200 euros upwards for not having your pet restrained, and it must be in the back of the car, again it is illegal to have them in the front.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2015, 02:35 PM

doc i had a show dog years ago won lots of trophy's but we had a serious problem with him ,he got car sick bad ,first it was the noises ' then he started to throw up 'well taking him to a show wasn't the best time to be sick ' saw the vet on this he said the dog does not like the movement of the car 'and it wont stop till u stop 'so we did 'but cars where out ....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

28-10-2015, 02:41 PM

When I drive alone Betty sits on front seat with her harness on and Elsie on back seat with hers on, I can't see a problem with that as we have disabled the air bag so she is in no danger and her harness means she cannot interfere with the driver.

I like to see her because while I trust Elsie (much bigger dog) I have had when they are both restrained in the back had to stop and sort out the tangle they can get themselves in.

When it's two of us or more in the car Betty is usually on my lap in the front too.

Would not be happy if they had a blanket ban.

Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top