Join for free
Page 137 of 370 « First < 37 87 127 135 136 137 138 139 147 187 237 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 03:07 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Swims - One day at a time buddy. keep your chin up there

Surfermom - Good run the other day. Hope your folks are doing okay following those hospital visits.

Anyone else doing much over the weekend training-wise?
My apologies for not being at the gym myself but they closed it for the whole Easter break, including yesterday when I was fully on for a mammoth session with bag packed and everything only to find it shut when I got there. Others had arrived too with them turning around and going home. They will have some questions to answer as the opening times on the door din't mention any special closing times for Easter. Not impressed I'll take a look there tomorrow but I fear with it being Easter Monday they will still be closed.
What on Earth am I going to do? I'll waste away to skin and bone!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 05:50 PM

Sorry to hear about your disappointment when turning up to the gym Floydy, at least when your main form of exercise is running, your gym never closes...

Last week I managed to walk my way around twenty six miles of accumulated mileage. After managing to jog a few hundred yards yesterday with no after effects I decided to continue with some stretches of jogging on today's five miler. After managing to jog around half and not experiencing any problems afterwards, it's looking good, however, it takes some loosening up first thing in the mornings and sitting is still quite uncomfortable.

Thanks Cedronella, I think the time is right to test myself a little, and now go and see a physio....

Good to read about your latest run Surfermom, it must be hard to keep all the balls in the air while looking after your Mum and Dad. They have spent their whole life doing what's best for you, and now it's your turn to repay their love...All the best....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 03:14 PM

Bob, you're doing extremely well by being ready to jog again. The long walks are proof enough that you have some gritty determination still in that wise head of yours. Take it steady though bud

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Success!
Checking the gym opening times on the net it wasn’t too trustworthy, it only mentioned bank holiday opening hours, so I took a chance this afternoon and braved the torrential rain to see if I could resume my programme after a four-day break. The gym was open from 10-4, so my hour session fitted in perfectly.

I tell you what though, that the few days’ rest must have done me some good because I felt really supple and on once I got my workout underway I was feeling very strong, so I’ve tweaked my programme accordingly, as I’ll note below:

Keeping my routine at three sets, I will still do the first two (with the additional ‘failure’ reps9, adding weight where necessary, but my third set now will be with a slightly heavier weight, normally an increase of 2kg on the dumbbells or 5kg on machines, give or take the type of exercise. This final set will see me push myself to the absolute limit as it won’t add the pause reps but I will simply do as many reps as I can before I can’t lift anymore. This is a method strength athletes use often, as do bodybuilders because it adds size as well as strength. I know I’m not meant to be training like this anymore, but I think the higher reps beforehand for cardio fitness then finishing each exercise with this power set for muscle endurance will strike a good balance and keep me motivated. Don’t worry though, I will be cautious of any niggles!

So therefore because I wasn’t prepared for this type of workout, I changed my template as I went along and now at home I have updated things to note these changes from next time. With leg training, I will have to play it by ear as although my knees appear all but perfect again, I still have that worry. Tomorrow I’ll determine how to tackle the legs routine.

Until then though, here’s today’s new routine. Just a few exercises as I’m back at work tonight, but I gave it all I had regardless…

Monday, 2 Apr 18: Upper body revamp.
(Please note the slight change in layout)

DB press:
24kg: 12+2, 8+2
26kg: 10
*Added 2kg from last time, plus another 2kg for the new heavier set.

Fly dec:
65kg: 25+3, 20+3
72.5kg: 32
*Added the new set thinking it might be a struggle, but I just kept on going reaching a max of 32 reps! More weight next time.

Machine arm curls:
30kg: 20+2, 15+2
35kg: 15

Single DB press, flat bench:
44kg: 25+2, 20+2
46kg: 26
Heading towards the maximum 50kg dumbbell, which I will reach very soon.

Standing DB curl, across chest (to opposite shoulder):
14kg: 6+2, 6+2
16kg: 12
*This exercise is very good for building and defining the exterior head of the biceps. Happy with the number of reps on the third set.

DB concentration curl, alt.:
16kg: 6+1, 6+1
18kg: 9 right arm, 7 left arm
*This was very strange. Usually with these alternating curls I make sure I do the same reps on each arm. Today my left was slightly weaker for some reason and I just couldn’t push any more reps after the seven. Still not too unhappy with the weight though.

E-Z preacher curl, low pull:
33kg: 15+2, 12+2
38kg: 9
*This was quite a large increase in weight from last week. Normally people will do sets of 6-8, so I was very pleased indeed when I kept going for seventeen on the first set. The second set was much more difficult but still managed thirteen reps. Then adding a new 38kg weight and doing 9 reps was very surprising. The biceps were straining massively after this lot.

Triceps extensions:
55kg: 20+2, 15+2
60kg: 11
*I set my limit at 55kg last week, but tried the 60kg anyway and managed a pleasing eleven reps, so all was good.

Once again, forgot the ab crunches. I have now types them in bold on my template, so I shouldn’t miss them out again!

55 mins.

Very enjoyable but very hard work although I know with the way my muscles were looking and feeling afterwards, it’s done me some good. See what happens with a full session at the weekend.
Before that though there will be a legs session tomorrow.

Thanks for reading as always
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 09:30 PM

Unfortunately things have taken a turn for the worse Floydy.....
Following yesterday's success jogging half of the five mile walk, I woke this morning with quite a bit more pain than usual. It did subside later in the morning but the torrential rain didn't, so I decided to go out anyway. After a swift three miles in the pouring rain and slipping and sliding my way around waterlogged lanes I arrived home cold but dry. Compliments to Mountain Warehouse for an excellent waterproof top, and Debenhams for suitable shorts. Just wet feet then.

The bad news....Almost impossible to eject myself from the armchair later on without experiencing acute bouts of pain in the buttock and lower back..
This is turning into the longest layoff from running I've experienced in forty years of running. I fear that there may be no come back from this.......
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

03-04-2018, 01:14 AM

Bob, I'm very sorry to hear about this further problem. There must be some way of helping or easing an issue such as this. A couple of months ago you were pounding those roads and fields like there was no tomorrow; nobody should experience such a sudden setback as you have experienced.
But I guess that's the way our bodies work, they tell us they have had enough without warning and it's a hell of a blow, a shock to the system to realise that you can't do what you used to do anymore - or perhaps for the time being.

I strongly suggest an experienced sports physio this time. Bob. They know what they are talking about far more than any NHS 'boffin'. It may cost a bit, but if you can find a professional running or rugby physio who knows all about these injuries, it's definitely worth the price, even if he improves your health and fitness levels so that you can at least walk without pain, the jogging may improve too in time. You never know. I saw a physio a few times in my serious training days for back pain and shoulder issues, and they worked a treat. Granted, I was much younger and the body heals much faster.

Meanwhile, don't get too downhearted mate. Try to do some basic exercises at home, occupy your mind with other stuff such as hoovering for Mrs. Fox or pottering about in a shed or something. keep yourself as active and busy as you can buddy. Take care
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 01:04 AM

You all will be thrilled to know that I am about to numb the minds and dull the senses with an update, but I have time for a quick beach run while the sun is setting. See? I just forced myself into running because you make me feel accountable. Thanks ever so much, lol...

Back in a bit.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

04-04-2018, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
You all will be thrilled to know that I am about to numb the minds and dull the senses with an update, but I have time for a quick beach run while the sun is setting. See? I just forced myself into running because you make me feel accountable. Thanks ever so much, lol...

Back in a bit.
Nice to see you again, Surfermom. Hope you enjoyed your break.
Take your time, S. I'll be here all night lol
Enjoy your run
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 04:18 AM

Floydy what good news that you managed to get your "skin and bones" through the door of the gym. I expect that they were growing tired of you pressing your hands and face against the glass and shaking the door handles trying to get in. It is always odd that gyms close when people have time off. Go figure!

I read your workout descripition and you sound like you had that spike of strength that comes with a break. I felt that same burst and consistent energy through my beach run this afternoon despite feeling pudgy and lethargic. It's all in my head, of course...except for what is on my hips.

You have been edging up there on several exercises in the last few weeks. Are you showing any sign at all of knee issues? Your progress must be very satisfying.

OGF, you came back with some steely determination! I know it must be disappointing and frustrating that after what felt like two really solid outings to be foiled again, but you are going to get better, I am sure of it. I'm with Floydy in pointing out that you were running solidly a few weeks ago. You may need some...hmmm....what's are those words....ah, yes..."diagnosis and treatment," but not coming back? I don't think so. Floydy gave you some excellent advice. Here is a hug ...now where are those numbers. Do you want me to call for you?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

04-04-2018, 04:19 AM

It's over there, staring at me.

There it is - arms crossed and shaking it's head.

I don't care though, I am ignoring it. In fact, I am avoiding it to the point that I have not only been steering a wide berth around it all day, I actually kicked it off to the side a couple of feet so as to avert it's determined gazed.

You know exactly who my nemesis is; it's the bathroom scales and we are at total odds right now.

While OGF claims to have gained half a stone on his cruise, I have reason to believe that I am wearing a scuba diving weight belt around my middle...

...and I blame it all on my mother.

As we have all had well-meaning, cake and meringue wielding mothers, I will spare you those details to now accost you with this report of my last Kansas run:

The weather in the middle part of the United States has two temperatures: sun-searing-hot and absolute zero. This last week it was mostly the latter. While spring had sprung a few weeks back, the last few days it was bitterly cold - now snow, just cold - which always makes it worse somehow.

Thinking of those of you who are consistently more tenacious and brave, and my lack of willpower in giving up my mother's decadent desserts, I laced up, zipped up and tore the door open to face Mother Nature. As suspected, she had had a row with her husband or broke a tooth and decided to vent her anger on me and the pretty, but now wilting, daffodils and tulips.

Now while most people would have gone back inside and cozied up to a wood fire, I pushed on, despite burning eyes, chapping lips, and fingers growing numb. Into the wind I pushed, counting the blocks before I could exercise the difficult choice of sacrificing my back in the name of saving my nose from frostbite. When I could take no more, I would turn again and press face first into the icy gusts. This pattern I repeated for 5.75 miles until, through my weeping eyes, I could make out, in the distance, the giant cottonwood that marked the location of the house - where there was heat, and a fire, and coffee....

....and I quit.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

04-04-2018, 03:05 PM

Oh Surfermom, what's life all about if you can't indulge yourself on some gorgeous home-made sweet cakes once in a while? I know that we as "fitness athletes" are not designed to crave such delights, but sometimes that temptation cannot be put on hold, especially when your mother has taken time in baking those wonderful buns.
I have this dilemma when I'm all set in my mind and revved up to visit the gym as I awake on some days, only to find that my wife has cooked me a beautiful roast or something. It simply would not be worth my continued existence on this planet of madness and frustration to turn it down

But, you made it for it with a sterling run yesterday which would make you all the more determined to hit your targets, and that feeling of achievement at the end of it cannot be beat. Well done!

How you feeling today, Bob. Any improvement in your flexibility and general state of mind bud? Please keep us in the picture pal and take care.

And where are the rest of you? Don't blame the rain, wrap up in your hoodies and get walking! Reports on my desk pronto please

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I wasn’t feeling particularly “with it” today as I slept terribly on account of feeling increasingly depressed about my work situation but I dragged myself out regardless, despite my fatigue and my head full of angst
A stupidly short mid-week legs session ensued, in fact it was so compact and straight to the point that it made me question whether it was worth doing. On reflection it was as any kind of boost is a worthwhile one and all my upgraded targets were achieved through four short exercises…

Wednesday, 4 Apr 18: Legs.
(Please note the slight change in layout)

Incline press:
150kg: 50+5, 30+5
200kg: 22
*I like this new procedure. The two initial sets with the fixed weight plus the extra ‘paused reps’ which I do slowly, then a heavier set doing as many as I possibly can to failure. It works well and I certainly feel it in my legs. I’ll keep the weight the same on these as I don’t want my knee injuries to return. These weights are heavy enough and that final set can be curtailed anytime I feel the strain becoming too great.

Seated ham curls:
40kg: 40+2, 30+2
50kg: 20
*I’ll increase the weight to 45 next time but lower the reps slightly on this. I’m too strong for this weight but I don’t want to needlessly go flat out on the reps. The final set will go up to 55kg.

Adductor:
60kg: 35+2, 25+2, 16

Abductor:
60kg: 25+2, 20+2, 16
*On these two exercises I think I’ve said previously that this is the maximum weight on the machine and no more can be added in any way, so I’m stuck with this large number of reps. The extra few pause reps do help though as I hold the whole stack paused for about five seconds before they commence, which isn’t an easy task.

30 mins.

After that little lot I felt extremely pleased that I did any exercises at all, I definitely could have stayed in bed all afternoon. But it did me good and come the weekend I’ll add the omitted sled press and extensions to make my session(s) full body workout(s). Note the “s” in brackets there. Yes, I intend to do TWO full, long workouts on Friday and Saturday this week, knocking the beer session on the head for a couple of weeks to get back to some kind of fitness After my self-induced boozy events of last week!

On the other subject of my night work, I’ll be thinking hard about the pros and cons, sitting down with my wife and trying to get out of our Catch-22 situation that has landed us between the rock and the hard place for the past umpteen years. Some changes must be made somehow to get back to living a normal life again

Thanks all, talk soon

Page 137 of 370 « First < 37 87 127 135 136 137 138 139 147 187 237 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top