Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 10:20 AM

Are You "As Tight as a DA"?

For those of more limited years, a DA was a 60s hair Style.

Being "tight" is a reference to gripping your money tightly.

This morning, it occurred to me to wonder why I bothered squeezing the toothpaste tube to get that last thread out, then I, very carefully, poured out last of the Breakfast Cereal into the new box, after which I noticed several, nearly empty, sauce bottles in the fridge.

I thought to myself "I really am Ebenezer Scrooge"

Then I turned the heating down, a degree, used up the last of the old milk bottle, before opening the new one - which will be thrown away, half used, later.

What a miser must be I!

Am I alone in this tight world?

pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 10:22 AM

Re: Are You "As Tight as a DA"?

Each to their own.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 10:31 AM

I wouldn't say I'm tight. I hate wasting money that could otherwise be spent on booze, drugs and raging at clubs..No!..that was 50 years ago. Um..no I'm not tight. But I am careful with money. I never throw it away. But I'm not mean. I like to share what I have. Otherwise what's the point of having it at all? To be able to have the biggest headstone in the cemetary?..Nah..My ashes can sleep with the fishes.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 10:35 AM

No Ted - I am the same way, using up every last drop of anything! We pay for it so I'm not chucking 47p's worth of cereal in the bin because its all crumbs - I'll eat it. Mr P is an irritant though because he will open up the nearest packet of anything, even if one is already open! Finish one, then open another!
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 10:41 AM

I think it's due to being brought up during WW2. Nothing was wasted and I still find myself saving bits of string, but of course it's cool to save paper bags (in the recycling). I'm the same with toothpaste too
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 11:02 AM

I don’t set out to be wasteful with money .
However I would never eat something I didn’t fancy just to use it up .
I go off food and clothes after awhile ...nothing would induce me to wear or eat it . I enjoy buying new clothes.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 11:09 AM

I remember not so long ago having very little money to feed my children and the worries of paying bills and the house cold , today I consider myself rich and I live on a basic pension but I am still careful and never waste or throw away half used products I too squeeze all the toothpaste and shake the cereal box crumbs . Having no money is awful and those days are sadly hard to forget

But I am not mean or in any way a scrooge as I say I consider myself rich in every way
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I remember not so long ago having very little money to feed my children and the worries of paying bills and the house cold , today I consider myself rich and I live on a basic pension but I am still careful and never waste or throw away half used products I too squeeze all the toothpaste and shake the cereal box crumbs . Having no money is awful and those days are sadly hard to forget

But I am not mean or in any way a scrooge as I say I consider myself rich in every way
I agree, and I do think that having lived through tough times, and a tight budget, is a better way of learning about life than the way some youngsters, have it, these days.

Life's a path, which we have to learn to travel, and we shouldn't assume that a Rolls Royce will come along, any time soon, to take us along it!

(I'm in phil the sophical mode today! )
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 11:42 AM

DA used to make me tight

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 11:48 AM

I’m the same Ted, old habits die hard in our age group.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top