Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 06:39 PM

Sky news interview

Appalling Sky correspondent, should be ashamed of herself.

Her first question an insult.

https://news.sky.com/video/defence-c...-risk-12127260
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 07:22 PM

Re: Sky news interview

Well I think her question is perfectly valid and needs to be addressed. The world and the UK in particular is so far removed from that of even 1945 that the majority of what took place 60 years ago is of no consequence to the majority of people today.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 07:26 PM

Seems a pretty good opening question TBH.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2020, 10:23 PM

https://discoversociety.org/2014/11/...the-next-time/

The author suggests this be included in war remembrance.

[QUOTE]

From the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams’s sermon on Wed 11th Nov 2009 at Westminster Abbey, at the Service to mark the Passing of the World War One Generation) in all remembrance services:

“In our solemn remembrance to those who have died, may we learn the lessons they learned, and God save us from learning them in the way they had to.”

Whilst we all – worldwide – need war remembrance, we really need to acknowledge and rethink how we practice such thoughts. Former BBC reporter Ted Harrison’s book, Remembrance Today, is well worth reading in this regard, including his suggestion of excluding UK national politicians from their wreath-laying places at the Cenotaph. Only then can we start to really reflect on war, what happens in war and what war does to people.

“We have to remember that history might not repeat itself but it has a rhythm and if you look back at the last century, before both world wars, I think it was unarguable that there was escalation which led to the miscalculation which ultimately led to war at a scale we would hopefully never see again." General Sir Nick Carter, the Chief of the Defence Staff.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

14-11-2020, 09:06 PM

Remembrance day traditions are a solemn respect for the fallen.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 09:14 PM

I think it's appalling that people want to not commemorate it anymore. Those people gave their lives for our country.

It's part of history that should be remembered. It's not hard to do one minutes silence out of a whole year in memory of those young people who so bravely went to war and died.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Remembrance day traditions are a solemn respect for the fallen.
But for now long?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
But for now long?
Hopefully as long as I'm alive. I would feel quite sad if they did away with it Todgy.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

14-11-2020, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Hopefully as long as I'm alive. I would feel quite sad if they did away with it Todgy.
Yes, I agree but maybe 100 years?
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

16-11-2020, 11:12 AM

Cross cultural friction is likely to be the trigger in future conflict. Imo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top