Join for free
Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 >
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 10:35 PM

Re: Do you have a strong accent?

It's not just accents within our largest county where accents vary. Accents in parts of Bristol differ significantly from the surrounding counties that border it. (Bristol is unusual in that is a city and county.)

I'm not sure if Youtube would cover these city districts.

Pirate speak is based on Bristol/West Country accents thanks to an actor called Robert Newton who used the local accent when he played Long John Silver in a 50s film version of Treasure Island, and later, Blackbeard the Pirate, real name Edward Teach, who was a former resident of Bristol.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 12:12 AM

Interesting, Fruitcake, about the additional branching off of accents in the cities.

So, are accents a source of regional pride?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Interesting, Fruitcake, about the additional branching off of accents in the cities.

So, are accents a source of regional pride?
Certainly are..

Over here in Blighty we have soap operas based in the North but broadcast everywhere. To Southern ears the accents all sounds the same but soaps based in Yorkshire have Lancastrian actors which to Northern ears can be easily distinguished.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Certainly are..

Over here in Blighty we have soap operas based in the North but broadcast everywhere. To Southern ears the accents all sounds the same but soaps based in Yorkshire have Lancastrian actors which to Northern ears can be easily distinguished.
Then you can imagine why it drives me batty that movies made in Hollywood almost always depict accents that in no way shape of form match the location in the script.

It matters; wars have been started over less .
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 03:25 AM

Then you can imagine why it drives me batty that movies made in Hollywood almost always depict accents that in no way shape of form match the location in the script.

I agree, surfermom, listening to accents is often distracting.
A few years ago while in London, I met an online gent for the afternoon and strolled around while getting to know each other. He was from Kent, and spoke softly.
This year I noticed the geico ads with the little green guy seemed to speak with the same accent. I thought it was an Australian accent, but just learned it is Cockney! Should I say when I texted him to share this cute realization, he seemed not to find it cute at all! Go figure
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 09:20 AM

I'm posh.............but not by choice!

As a child there were certain syllables I had problems with.........perhaps as a result of going to so different schools in different countries before the age of 10. Finally returned to the UK and a school with a resident speech therapist was found and I was her only pupil............so she spent rather a lot of time on me!! As a result I speak pure RP! Can't loose it! Totally brain-washed! It's had certain advantages, but has also set me apart from family and some friends.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 09:28 AM

Was posh once, but just on the phone Nine to Five, come six o clock, the Tipton Slasher was unleashed.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 09:49 AM

Funny thing about London?

Where are all of the Cock-a-Knees, these days?

All the passing accents/dialects seem to be Scots, Irish, Northerners, foreign people.

I suspect that potential visitors practice, befoe arrival, by watching Corrie, or Emmie's Dale!

Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 10:05 AM

Robin Hood with an American accent.

The prosecution rests.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Go on then share a vid of your actual accent. Troll YouTube

Try these.

https://youtu.be/JmP6DyY8pfM

Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top