Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
toners
Cheshire
toners is male  toners has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 04:46 PM

Re: A collection of ...

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
I knew about the wooden stopper to release the drink from bottles with the marbles in them, but I have seen one before your picture. Thanks for that.

I was guilty of smashing a bottle to get the "glass eye or glass alley" marble out when I was a kid. They were prized, and worth more in a game of marbles, because they were clear without the usual splash of colour normal marbles had.

I have one of the bottles in a display unit, but your collection is much more impressive.
I like the medicine bottles as well.
I always wanted one of the giant bottles you sometimes see in a chemist shop window.

Ah those were the days when you could go to a chemist shop to buy chemicals to use in home experiments or make things that go bang.
I remember buying chemicals for home experiments from the chemist as well. Not quite sure how I survived with all my fingers intact- especially making the stuff( which I shan't mention)that when painted on a surface and dried, exploded when a fly landed on it.
toners
Cheshire
toners is male  toners has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
If you have the lemonade bottle still with the marble in them they are worth more than the ones without the marble.
An intact Codd bottle without the marble would be wondrous as Fruitcake points out you have to smash the bottle to get the treasured marble out!
The torpedo shaped bottles are called Hamiltons- designed so that they could not be stored upright but on their side so that the cork didn't dry out and let the fizz escape.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by toners ->
An intact Codd bottle without the marble would be wondrous as Fruitcake points out you have to smash the bottle to get the treasured marble out!
The torpedo shaped bottles are called Hamiltons- designed so that they could not be stored upright but on their side so that the cork didn't dry out and let the fizz escape.
The ones without a marble probably means the person tried to get it out but broke the marble up & it came out in shards, rather than smashing the bottle. I have seen the bottles marbleless.
toners
Cheshire

16-01-2021, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Another interesting collection!
Moved house a year ago so the collection is still wrapped up in a box in the loft. I might resurrect them - they deserve a better photo at least.
Thanks for the comments Minx.
toners
Cheshire

16-01-2021, 06:07 PM

The ones without a marble probably means the person tried to get it out but broke the marble up & it came out in shards, rather than smashing the bottle. I have seen the bottles marbleless.
A bit like getting the ship out of the bottle intact!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 07:39 PM

A bit like getting the ship out of the bottle intact!
I wonder how they got the ship in the bottle in the first place.
toners
Cheshire

16-01-2021, 09:37 PM

I wonder how they got the ship in the bottle in the first place.
Anybody know the secret??
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

16-01-2021, 11:44 PM

I found out how......

Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 02:19 AM

Anybody know the secret??
You get a baby ship that will fit in a bottle. When it grows up it is too big to come out the way it got in.

Science, not magic.

You can actually do that with fruit growing on a tree such as apples and pears.

You can also soften eggshells (I can't remember what the chemical is though) so you can carefully push a raw egg into a bottle. Once it dries out, the shell re-hardens then you can perform a magic trick by shaking the bottle to smash the egg and show it was a real egg.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2021, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
I don't collect anything but my BH does.Our house is full of old signed photos and books from the charity shops.She gets annoyed when families dump them when the old people have died and she likes to think they all now live on
And old tools and old bottles and old stones and old shells and........etc....
Blooming heck I have enough old family photos of my own .
I keep trying to give them to my brother but he won’t have them .
My kids will get rid of them when I am gone .

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top