Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 02:58 AM

Re: Lighthouses. We have a few.

Very nice collection, fruitcake! The only lighthouses I have seen are in Maine, and they are worth the trip alone to view them.
Thanks for sharing.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 11:16 AM

My uncle emigrated to New Zealand in the mid fifties and became a lighthouse keeper. After keeping many lights over the years his last post was at Nugget Point on South Island, and he was the last lighthouse keeper in the country to retire when they finally automated his light around twenty years ago. We were lucky enough to visit him and family last year, and as he retired to a town only 20 miles away we were also lucky enough to visit the light. What an interesting life he and his family had had...

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191127_132755.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	14578  
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
They are lovely FC why do you love lighthouses so much do you live near the sea ?
Happy memories of holidays in Cornwall when I was a kid. Watching a craftsman turn a soapstone lighthouse on a lathe. A visit to a lighthouse set into the side of a cliff.
Climbing to the top of the lighthouse at Dungeness after a lovely ride on the Romney, Hythe, and Dymchurch light railway.
Seeing Smeton's Tower after it had been moved to Plymouth because the island it was originally built on began to crumble, causing subsidence.

I have no idea why I like them, or why we both like them.

We live a few miles inland from the sea. The nearest lighthouse is on an island about 8km off the coast.

Still no idea why we like them.

I like windmills as well. There was a disused one in the village where I grew up. The school badge had a windmill on it.
I got to go round her when she had been restored to full working order. It was a great feeing to see the sails and machinery turning, and the stones being used to grind local corn fifty years after I left the village.

Like ships, windmills are referred to as "She".

From a folk song,

"In days gone by, when the world was much younger,
Men harnessed the wind to work for mankind.
Seamen built ships to sail o'er the oceon,
Landsmen built windmills, their corn for to grind."
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
Very nice collection, fruitcake! The only lighthouses I have seen are in Maine, and they are worth the trip alone to view them.
Thanks for sharing.
I've seen pictures of the Maine lighthouses. They look beautiful. If I remember correctly, there is one that has been decommissioned and is now used as a holiday let.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

18-01-2021, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
My uncle emigrated to New Zealand in the mid fifties and became a lighthouse keeper. After keeping many lights over the years his last post was at Nugget Point on South Island, and he was the last lighthouse keeper in the country to retire when they finally automated his light around twenty years ago. We were lucky enough to visit him and family last year, and as he retired to a town only 20 miles away we were also lucky enough to visit the light. What an interesting life he and his family had had...
An interesting job, but lonely if the lighthouses weren't attached to the mainland. It takes a certain mindset to do that.

There was a TV programme some years ago about a lighthouse (I think) somewhere just off the South Coast of England.

The keeper's would stand on the external gallery and pass messages to and from their families who lived within telescope vision of the structure.
I think one used semaphore flags by day and an Aldiss lamp when it was dark.
The other was sort of a simple Q & A using a black or whiteboard, and the wife would nod for yes and shake her head for no.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 12:48 PM

An interesting collection FC I love lighthouses and thought about staying in one on holiday but the rest of the family were not keen.

https://www.ruralretreats.co.uk/lighthouse-cottages

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top