Join for free
Page 5 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 12:49 AM

Re: Knowl Park

Yes, Fruitcake I am still reading it. It's very good. I wanted to read a few at once which is why I haven't before & then I forgot where I'd got to so started again.
Please add more. They are lovely people to read about.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 02:49 AM

Thanks Tiff for your encouraging words.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 10:05 AM

Chapter 6 Part 1

Since he had begun to take over management of the Knowl Estate, Philip had started visiting the tavern in the village of an evening every few weeks. Although outside the manor estate boundary, it was still owned by the Marsden family, but Philip always paid his way.

He never drank very much, although he enjoyed the ale that was brewed behind the tavern, because he used the place as his unofficial estate office.
Anyone with a problem knew that when he was there they could come and talk to him about it instead of the formal setting of the estate office at the manor.

On this particular day he recognised a man a few years older than himself, sitting alone, head down, disconsolately holding a tankard of beer. Upon enquiring of the landlord how long the man had been sitting there, he was told, “Two hours sir, and he is well into his cups.”

“Jonathan” Philip began as he and his friend William sat down, “whatever is the matter?”

Looking up, then closing one eye in an attempt to focus, the man mumbled almost too incoherently to follow, “I’ve lost her … father caught us kissing ... hit me … had his manservant throw me out.” Looking up with tears in his eyes he continued, “Threatened to have me beaten ‘f I tried t’see her again. She’s your friend too. Can you help?”

Lady Charlotte Wardle was Philip’s oldest friend. She had been in love with her father’s footman since she was sixteen. Philip was the only other person in the world aware of this because Charlotte knew that her father, Sir Charles Wardle, would never approve. She had never even told Jonathan how she felt about him, at least, not until now.
She was almost twenty-one. Jonathan Clarke was twenty-four and had never given any indication of how he had felt about Charlotte before, but it was obvious now that he had fallen in love with her. The fact that they had kissed meant that they had both told each other about their feelings.
Had she been twenty-one, they could have run away together, eloped, and got married without needing her father’s consent, but now it was a problem. He would never allow his daughter out of his control.

Philip waved Mrs Rolands, the tavern keeper’s wife, over from behind the bar.
“Would you bring us some strong, sweet tea please. I need to try and flush two hours of beer out of this young man.”

Through slurred words, low howls of anguish, and several cups of tea, Jonathan related a terrible story.

Charlotte’s father wanted his daughter to marry a forty-three-year-old industrialist in exchange for him investing money in a business venture owned by Sir Charles. An agreement had been made, hands had been shaken, but Charlotte had not been consulted.
Every time Sir Charles had broached the subject, Charlotte said she would never agree. He flew into a rage, telling his daughter she must do as she was told. If she didn’t, she would be sent to live with an uncle on an island off the coast of Scotland, cut off without a penny, until she agreed to the union.
She told her father that it would be preferable to marrying a fat, bald man more than twice her age.

Two days later he had caught Charlotte in his study, kissing his footman. He struck him a stinging blow across the face and dismissed him on the spot, with threats of severe violence if he ever returned.

A suitable marriage. That’s what it was called, but in reality, it was all about the upper classes selling off their daughters to someone of supposedly equal status in order not to lose face. It was bad enough if a woman was encouraged to marry against her wishes, but when forced, it was rape and slavery. Philip vowed immediately to help his friend escape from this horror so she could be with the man she loved.

With much falling down and incoherent babbling, Philip and William managed to walk Jonathan the mile and a half to his mother’s house on the outskirts of the neighbouring town.

“I’ll call by tomorrow and see how he is doing,” Philip reassured Jonathan’s mother, “but the important thing now is not to let him anywhere near the Wardle estate. He will be beaten or worse if he tries, and I need him to stay away so I can work out how to resolve this problem.”
“Hide his shoes or clothes until I come back. Give them to your neighbours to make sure he doesn’t find them if you have to.”
“I have an idea, but it will be ruined if he sets foot on Wardle property.”

Two days later, Master Philip made a morning call at Wardle Mansion, knowing Sir Charles was out, and hoping he would be allowed to see Charlotte.
After an interminable wait, he was shown into a large, ornate reception room where he was presented to his friend’s mother.
He kept the conversation light, not mentioning what he knew, and thankfully after an hour of inane chatter, a maid was called to fetch Charlotte
His friend looked drawn as Philip greeted her, quickly whispering, “I know” as he kissed her on one cheek, then “say nothing” as he kissed her on the other.

After more inconsequential talk, Philip eventually said, “Lady Charlotte, you look pale. Perhaps a walk around the rose garden might help”, the last part spoken to Lady Wardle in an enquiring manner.
Thankfully, her mother agreed, but insisted that Daisy Dickens, Charlotte’s personal maid, and the butler who had thrown Jonathan out accompanied them.

© January 2021
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

19-01-2021, 10:06 AM

Chapter 6 Part 2

As he walked arm in arm with his friend around the rose beds, Philip pointed at them, at the trees, at the hills beyond, but his quiet words were of a completely different subject. “I have an idea.”
Looking past the maid, and making sure the butler was far enough away that he couldn’t hear, Philip asked “Daisy, are you willing to help? Don’t speak, just look down for a moment if you will”
She knew exactly what Philip was talking about, so a second later she looked down at one of the rose bushes before looking back up. Turning a corner to pass directly in front of the maid, Philip breathed, “you could be dismissed, and your husband too if you are caught.”

She pretended to adjust Charlotte’s collar as she quietly replied, “We’re moving to Roger’s parents so we can look after them as soon as Charlotte turns twenty-one. Don’t worry about us.”
Pointing at a hawk hovering over the Ha-Ha, Philip whispered, “Come to the manor as soon as you can.”

Four days later, Daisy Dickens called at the manor house kitchen where she was welcomed by the cook and her staff. After Philip’s visit to Wardle Mansion, Daisy had told him that the wedding date was already set, then told him when she had her next day off.
Charlotte’s maid was led to Albert’s study where Philip and his other friends were waiting.

Daisy began, “We have five weeks and two days weeks. Sir Charles intends for Charlotte to marry his business acquaintance at eleven o’clock on her twenty-first birthday at All Saints Church in the village.”
It’s all arranged. The vicar is in Charles’s pay and he will do whatever old Wardle says.

Noticing that Daisy had not used the lord’s title, Philip took over the conversation. “I need to show you all something”

Taking a large iron key from his father’s desk, he then walked to the wall opposite the study windows and slid a floor length tapestry aside to reveal an ordinary door, bolted at the top.
Passing through, the group were presented with a corridor running from left to right with heavy doors at each end, both bolted shut.

Pointing to the left Philip said, “That leads to a small high-walled yard, with a gate into the lane round the side of the manor.”
Indicating the door to their right he continued. “The other side of that door is hidden behind the old Welsh Dresser in the scullery.”
Opposite was another floor length tapestry. When slid aside, it revealed a low, fake Norman Arch complete with a heavy iron-studded oak door, which Philip now unlocked with the key he had been holding.
The click as the mechanism released was barely audible, and the door opened inwards with only a breath-like whisper of air.

“My brother and I found this when I was ten. There had been rumours of secret tunnels, but we never found them. Instead, we came across all this. It took us a month to find the key, and another week to get the door open. I cleaned and oiled the lock and hinges as soon as I found out about Charlotte and Jonathan.
“After you ladies and gentleman.”

There were gasps as they found themselves inside a beautiful but tiny chapel. Pews to seat ten, twelve at a squeeze, and three stone seats built into the lime-plaster walls on each side, painted with now faded whitewash.
A simple alter faced them with candle stubs in two plain brass holders. A few candle brackets were spaced along the walls. The only natural light came from a pair of arched stained-glass windows at the end.
A single door to the left led off to a tiny vestry with an iron-bound door on the far side, bolted from the inside, again leading to the small yard shielded from the lane to the side of the house.

“It was built a hundred and sixty years ago, twenty years after the manor was built, and hasn’t been used for fifty years. It can’t be seen from the lane, and until today, only my family knew about it.”
“I have written to the Bishop of the local Diocese and asked him to have it re-consecrated, dedicated again as a place of worship, and licenced for marriage.”
“He is sending someone here tomorrow. I told him why I wanted it doing, and the urgency, but I may have hinted that it was me that was marrying a lady who would otherwise be forced into a marriage she does not want.
“I shall of course explain the truth to the vicar upon his arrival. I offered to pay a … small contribution to the Diocese, and pay all the vicar’s expenses including travel, food, and lodging, as well as the wedding itself.”
“I also explained that I needed the lady’s Banns to be read here every week for four weeks as prescribed by law, and the wedding must begin no later than nine o’clock on the morning of her twenty-first birthday.”

Holding both of Millie’s hands, Philip said, “I need to ask you a favour. Charlotte is about your height and build; would you be willing to lend her a spare maid’s outfit? I will of course replace it with a new one.”
“I intend for Charlotte to smuggle herself out of her home each time the Banns are read, and for the wedding day itself, but she needs a disguise!”

Millie didn’t need to think about it. “Of course, I’ll fetch one straight away.”

“Bring everything. Dress, apron, cap, perhaps a duster and cloth or two.” After she had left, Philip turned to Daisy. “I need you to show her how to dress properly, how to act, especially turning her face to the wall when a family member walks by. We don’t do that here, but I know it is required at the mansion.”
“Hair tucked into her cap, a little beetroot juice rubbed on her cheeks. A slouch, a stoop! Teach her to stoop. Get her to lower her voice. Anything at all to make her unrecognisable.”
“Then I need you to teach her the safest way from anywhere in the house to the outside scullery door, and then she can away through the orchard.”
“She knows the grounds better than Sir Charles. Knows the safest routes, places to hide from when we played there as children.”
“She needs to practice getting out and back into the house. Tell her to head for the old rope swing each time. It’s not there now be she knows the tree.”
“William,” turning to his friend, “will you meet Charlotte each time, and return her? Take Millie as well of course,” receiving a firm nod in reply.

© January 2021
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

19-01-2021, 10:08 AM

Chapter 6 Part 3

“What about me?” asked Amanda.
“This place needs a good clean, but we have five weeks to do it, so don’t go mad at it. I’ll help when I can of course. I also need someone to let Charlotte and the others in here from the lane if I’m elsewhere, such as when I have to take care of the vicar.”
“She musn’t be seen by anyone. My parents know what is going on and are happy to help. They will allow you time to do what needs to be done, but can’t get involved in case someone realises there is something going on.”

Turning to Daisy Philip asked, “How did Roger get on with finding a key?”
To the others he explained that Charlotte was locked in her room at night so they needed a spare key, otherwise she would have to make a rope out of bedsheets and climb out her window. She was perfectly capable of doing this but there was a greater risk she would be caught if she had to go out that way.

“There are only two keys to her door,” Daisy began. Charles has one and his horrible butler has the other, and neither are ever left in the lock so can’t be copied. However, Roger has found a key that will open all the doors. I have hidden it in Charlotte’s room, and only the three of us know where it is.

Passing Daisy a piece of paper, Philip said, “Copy these dates and times. You must not carry anything about you in my handwriting.” Giving a wry look at Amanda he continued, “It is rather distinctive.”
Taking out a small notebook, Daisy quickly copied the information into it.

Holding up a piece of folded paper, Philip spoke very quietly, “This is Jonathan’s proposal of marriage to Charlotte. Keep it safe in your little book, then show it to her when she is alone. Once she has read it, she must burn it in the fire grate. Make sure it is completely consumed and then crumble the ashes to dust.”
“After that she needs to write her reply on a separate sheet of paper. Three words. His name, her answer, her name, then get it back here and I will get it to Jonathan.”
“Anything of value needs to be smuggled out because they won’t have much money after she leaves. Jewellery, clothes, silks, anything at all that won’t be noticed if it is missing.”

Millie came back with a bundle wrapped in a pillow case and handed it to Daisy. Philip hugged them both, and Amanda so she didn’t feel left out, clapped William on the shoulder, and then said, “We have a lot to do.”

Over the next few weeks, Charlotte slipped out of her home early of a morning and was back by six o’clock each time, three weeks in a row to be present in the Knowl Park chapel when her Banns were read.
Philip had explained to the visiting vicar that this had to be done very early in the morning when required, and he had been surprisingly accommodating, but then, he was being paid well.
He would arrive the afternoon before, enjoy Mrs Pearson’s excellent food, a glass of Albert Marsden’s finest brandy, then attend the chapel the following morning, given breakfast then sent on his way with a nice packaged lunch before arriving home by lunchtime and have the rest of the day off.

On the day of the wedding, Charlotte had slipped out early in the morning shortly after her door was unlocked by her father who had briefly looked in at her, then told her to ensure she was in her wedding dress by ten o’clock.
Five minutes after she left, Roger Dickens secured the door with his master key before shearing it off in the lock.

He and Daisy had quietly been removing their belongings a few at a time for storage at Knowl Manor for several weeks. They followed Charlotte as soon as her door was sealed and caught up with her at the tree where she and Philip used to play on a rope swing they had slung over a branch. After climbing into the back of an open wagon, William and Millie had covered them over before being driven as fast as was safe to the back of the Manor.

Philip had had a seamstress visit the manor very early one morning at great expense, to measure Charlotte on a day when her Banns were being read, and then make a bespoke dress for her.

Philip had insisted that his friend would not wear the dress her father had paid for, but would instead wear one she had chosen herself.

At nine o’clock on the morning of Charlotte’s twenty first birthday, Philip walked his fried down the short aisle of the Knowl Park private chapel to give her away.
Twenty minutes later she was in the tiny vestry, signing the chapel registry with Albert and Sarah as witnesses. A legally binding contract that “no man can set asunder”.
No Magistrate could argue with that

A brief wedding breakfast was held in the manor dining room, then the newlyweds headed off to a guest bedroom to change. Charlotte’s wedding dress and a few personal items would be kept safe there until she returned from her honeymoon.
Philip's advice to Jonathan was to consummate the marriage as soon as possible if the couple had the time and inclination to finalise the legal requirements.
As he walked away he quietly said, there will be nobody anywhere near this wing for the next hour.

Master Philip had got to know the Station staff in the local town on his many travels to and from college over a period of three years. After Jonathan had been dismissed, Philip had asked if the Station Master knew of any jobs on the railway.
Two weeks later he reported back that a level crossing keeper position would be available four weeks hence, complete with a crossing keeper’s house. With a glowing reference from Albert and Philip Marsden, Jonathan Clarke secured the post and was due to move in with his new bride to start work a week after he was wed.

At ten thirty, as the village church clock struck the half-hour, William drove the Knowl Estate carriage with the Marsden crest through the village. By his side was Master Philip, and inside the carriage were their friends Millie and Amanda, as well as Jonathan and Charlotte.

© January 2021
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

19-01-2021, 10:08 AM

Chapter 6 Part 4

The vicar and several guests to the church wedding saw them as they flashed through the village, and later recounted this when quizzed by a furious Sir Charles after he had had his butler smash down Charlotte’s bedroom door, only to find the room empty.

Upon hearing this, Sir Charles set off to follow the carriage only to find his way blocked at the pack-horse bridge over the Watersmeet River by Arthur Presbury, who was having great difficulty in moving his horse and cart.
Jim’s horse didn’t understand any of the commands it was being given by its owner, so resolutely refused to move. In fact, Jim was deliberately using language the horse didn’t know because Master Philip had asked him to hold the bridge as soon as the wedding carriage passed through.

Master Philip stood on the station platform with three of his closest friends, waiting for Charlotte and Jonathan’s train to depart.

Suddenly there was a commotion as Sir Charles burst onto the platform shouting Charlotte’s name. He was furious, and when he saw Master Philip, he strode up to him demanding to know the location of his daughter.

Philip calmly replied, “Mrs Clarke is on her honeymoon sir.”
“Who the devil is Mrs Clarke, and I demand you tell me where my daughter is right now.”
“Why, Mrs Clarke is your daughter Charlotte of course. She married Jonathan Clarke earlier this morning”

“She can’t have" screamed Sir Charles, "I forbade her to marry that servant. She is supposed to be in church marrying Henry Strode right now.”
“Ah well” said Philip, “she married up at the manor house this morning where we have a private chapel. It’s in the same parish as your estate, my father’s estate, and the local church.

“She can’t have married. She hasn’t left the Wardle Estate in six weeks.”

“Well you see,” explained Philip, “I smuggled a maid’s uniform to her last month, and she has been slipping out through your scullery door every week to be present when her Banns were read. She left for good this morning just before you had breakfast. You actually walked right past her whilst she was standing with her face turned to the wall.”

“She can’t be married! I forbid it! Where is she right now?”

Gesturing towards the carriages next to the group Philip carefully explained to the man, “In a private train compartment with her new husband.” At that moment the guard blew his whistle, the engine driver blew his, and the train began to move.
Sir Charles ran to the last coach and climbed aboard, ignoring the guard’s protestations. The enraged Lord began to move through the train, shouting Charlotte’s name, opening compartment doors, forbidding her to marry “that servant” causing distress and mayhem as he went.

When he got to the last compartment of the leading carriage, he threw open the door and shouted at the young couple inside, then stopped in his tracks.

Meanwhile, Charlotte and her new husband looked out of the window and smiled as their train headed steadily in the opposite direction.

Moments before, the Station Master had asked Philip what was happening. “A man came at me, yelling something about forbidding his daughter to marry, and then boarded the Southbound train while it was moving.”
“I suspect he does not have a ticket, so it might be prudent to telephone the next station and have a constable standing by,”

Two days later, Sir Charles arrived at Knowl Park mansion in a blue fit. Against all common decency and etiquette, he forced himself into the hallway, shouting and demanding to see Master Philip, getting the standard reply, “I shall go and see if he is in”. Philip asked the butler to seat the visitor in the parlour, but then let him stew for a good fifteen minutes before he entered the room himself.
Sir Charles immediately stood and began to berate Philip, not allowing him to say a word for several minutes. When he was eventually spent, Philip responded in a low, hard voice.
“You wanted your only daughter to marry a man over twice her age simply so you could profit from their union. You intended to sell your daughter into slavery, to be raped on a daily basis by a fat old man, instead of letting her marry the man she loved.”
“How could you? How could any man do that to their only child? You disgust me sir!”

Picking up a newspaper open at the Announcements page, Philip began to read, “Yesterday, Lady Charlotte Wardle married Jonathan Clarke, an employee with the Great Western Railway, both being residents within the parish of Lansdown. The small ceremony took place in a private chapel at Knowl Park Manor which resides within the parish. The wedding and blessing were performed by the Reverend Thomas Vickery from the Diocese of the Bishop of Bath and Wells.”

Putting the paper down, Philip continued, “The world now knows that your daughter is legally married. My father has spoken to his friend who is the local Magistrate about this matter. If any harm comes to your son-in-law, I will make it known what you tried to do, and you can then expect a visit from the Peelers.”
“You know me sir. You have known me since I was three. You know I do not lie.”

“Now get out and never come back here. Do I make myself clear?”

Philip and his friends visited the newlyweds on their return from a brief honeymoon, and helped them move in to the crossing keeper’s house.
Philip then related the tale of Sir Charles arriving on the Southbound platform near the station entrance, after the friends had said goodbye to the bride and groom on the Northbound train, and then crossed back over the iron footbridge.
Upon enquiry, a constable had indeed intercepted Sir Charles at the next station. Since he was irate, had no train ticket, had entered every compartment on the train and disturbed all the passengers in the process, and had no means of identification, he had spent the night in the local gaol before being allowed back home.

This had angered him beyond all reason which is why he had called to see Philip the following day, but had come off second best.

© January 2021
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 12:16 PM

That is a lovely story.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

19-01-2021, 04:39 PM

Three more chapters to go then that will be it, unless I can think of something to slip in another story before the last chapter, because that has a very specific ending.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

19-01-2021, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Three more chapters to go then that will be it, unless I can think of something to slip in another story before the last chapter, because that has a very specific ending.
Looking forward to reading the next chapters, Fruitcake.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

20-01-2021, 01:33 PM

I have begun to write Chapter 7, the ending of Chapter 8 is complete, and the end of the story is written.

I have a germ of an idea about a chapter I could possibly slip in between either chapter 7 and 8, or 8 and 9, but since it is a new idea it will take me a while to write it. I can't keep doing it though as it will mess up the end of the story otherwise.

The Epilogue is also complete.

Page 5 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top