Join for free
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 03:28 PM

Re: Eurostar in cash crisis !!

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Rather than the UK bail it out let the French government allow bankruptcy if they wish.
If it is then deemed a "strategic service" that our government thinks necessary it will undoubtedly be far less costly to buy a bankrupt company out of receivership and then owning the entirety.

Though I doubt our government sees it as a "strategic service", otherwise they wouldn't have sold their stake.

As I have said before: the UK wouldn't bail out the French Brittany Ferries or the Danish DFDS even though these run ferries to and from the UK.
Eurostar is no different.
Exactly that !

Donkeyman! 👍😃👍
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 03:37 PM

I know a guy who stumped up £2000 to buy shares during the initial public offering only to see the value drop dramatically after a couple of years. He and his wife did get a few concessionary return tickets from London to Paris though out of it.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 03:52 PM

Eurostar cannot compete with low cost airlines.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
You must be one of the business class users l think Todgy?
Why should l fund a self confessed tax dodger like you ??

Donkeyman! 👎🤔🤔👎
Never bothered with business class on t'gozunder. No point.

And I'm not a tax dodger. I pay every penny of tax that I need to pay.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2021, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Eurostar cannot compete with low cost airlines.
That rather depends on what you factor in. For example I would need to schlep down the A12 to Stansted then park and get a bus to the terminal. There's a couple of hours gone for a start. (Hope the flights not been scratched or running late).

Check in, security, border control wait in departure lounge and board the plane. Another couple of hours gone.

Flight time to Brussels typically an hour and a bit. Formalities Brussels an hour (if you're lucky) then the train into town - only 20 min but waiting time - say another hour. Hotel - a few half decent ones within a ten min walk (avoid the Schaerbeek district at ALL costs!) and then settle down - eventually - and arrange to rent a car. Don't rent from the airport - it costs an arm and a leg. Much less expensive from most hotels.

So you've got to your hotel after typically about 7 to 8 hours at best. So the cost of that low cost flight suddenly isn't so cheap!

OR

Drive from home to the Chunnel terminal. Usually no need to book, just check in. (Cheaper if you DO book, same with flying though). About 4 hours tops. Cost? About 70 quid each way for car and I think up to 5 passengers included. Time Sangatte to Brussels - around two hours. Time under the sea and formalities - add another hour.

So adding the time cost and the lunatics cost of airport car park and flight cost travel by tunnel makes a great deal of sense, certainly for us. Much more comfortable too and no luggage restrictions.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
That rather depends on what you factor in. For example I would need to schlep down the A12 to Stansted then park and get a bus to the terminal. There's a couple of hours gone for a start. (Hope the flights not been scratched or running late).

Check in, security, border control wait in departure lounge and board the plane. Another couple of hours gone.

Flight time to Brussels typically an hour and a bit. Formalities Brussels an hour (if you're lucky) then the train into town - only 20 min but waiting time - say another hour. Hotel - a few half decent ones within a ten min walk (avoid the Schaerbeek district at ALL costs!) and then settle down - eventually - and arrange to rent a car. Don't rent from the airport - it costs an arm and a leg. Much less expensive from most hotels.

So you've got to your hotel after typically about 7 to 8 hours at best. So the cost of that low cost flight suddenly isn't so cheap!

OR

Drive from home to the Chunnel terminal. Usually no need to book, just check in. (Cheaper if you DO book, same with flying though). About 4 hours tops. Cost? About 70 quid each way for car and I think up to 5 passengers included. Time Sangatte to Brussels - around two hours. Time under the sea and formalities - add another hour.

So adding the time cost and the lunatics cost of airport car park and flight cost travel by tunnel makes a great deal of sense, certainly for us. Much more comfortable too and no luggage restrictions.
The title of the thread is Eurostar cash crisis Todger, nothing to do
with euro tunnel l believe ???

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 11:45 AM

It's pretty expensive putting your car on a plane compared to Eurostar.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
The title of the thread is Eurostar cash crisis Todger, nothing to do
with euro tunnel l believe ???

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
I was just reading a comment piece in The Telegraph from what appears to be a devout remainer (given the first few paragraphs) and even he says that the UK shouldn't be bailing Eurostar out.

As he says:
"It is the operating company that runs the train services between Paris and London that is in trouble, a point worth remembering as the Government is pressured to spearhead a bailout. If it goes bust, another operator will step in."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...ish-taxpayers/
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I was just reading a comment piece in The Telegraph from what appears to be a devout remainer (given the first few paragraphs) and even he says that the UK shouldn't be bailing Eurostar out.

As he says:
"It is the operating company that runs the train services between Paris and London that is in trouble, a point worth remembering as the Government is pressured to spearhead a bailout. If it goes bust, another operator will step in."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...ish-taxpayers/

Probably asking us because the EU won't allow state subsidies from their member states. Unless your Germany ofcourse then you can do what you like
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
It's pretty expensive putting your car on a plane compared to Eurostar.

Eurotunnel Le Shuttle operated by Getlink and Eurostar is their customer. Eurostar is a totally separate company.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top