Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 08:39 AM

Benefit Cheats..

We know it goes on, bet most here know of people who are/were cheating the system...... which indicates there are lot doing it.

But do/would you report them ?

Me personally, I can't be bothered..... from my understanding its pretty much a waste of time.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 08:58 AM

Re: Benefit Cheats..

Yes I would report them!
It's so difficult for genuine people to get benefits of any type. Therefore, they must have lied through their teeth to get something they're not entitled to.
It makes me very angry!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 09:15 AM

I have a friend who's receiving pension credits and I know she's a lot better off than me financially & yet I don't qualify!!

She's a bit evasive about how she got it but reading between the lines I think she took quite a lot of money out of her bank account & saved it elsewhere - maybe one of her kids have banked it for her.

I am inwardly quite resentful about this but would never report her. I try not to think about it but it's hard when she goes on about it!!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 11:26 AM

Would I grass-up a Benefit cheat? Too bloody right. Possibly a bit hypocritical though because I always pay cash SR (Sans Receipt) for all work we have done.
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 11:40 AM

Something I’ve noticed too, I know of people due to genuine circumstances are unable to work.

Yes they get benefits, but compared to what others get, they seem to fall way short.

I agree the genuine claimants suffer because of the cheats

I had a conversation with a friend who once headed the investigations of alleged benefit cheats reported to his section.

He told me they only had the man power to enquire/investigate a fraction of the reported allegations.

He said at most it’s a handful that are prosecuted in court, but not one prison sentence in the 20 months he worked there…. The usual was suspended benefits for a week less if they had children, and a repayment programme of £2 a week to repay the fraudulent claim of £2000 plus…… which often got reduced to a £1 a week or more often cancelled after 6 months.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by marciniak ->
We know it goes on, bet most here know of people who are/were cheating the system...... which indicates there are lot doing it.
There may be a significant number but they are a very small percentage of claimants:

https://femavis.herokuapp.com/index.html

Fraud and Error in the Benefit System

How much is overpaid due to benefit fraud and error?

In 2019-20, DWP spent £191.7bn on all benefit payments. Around £4.6bn of this expenditure was overpaid due to fraud and error. This is roughly 2.4% of the amount spent.

Originally Posted by marciniak ->
But do/would you report them ?
Of course I would, as I would tax-evaders .....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->

Of course I would, as I would tax-evaders .....
There's a very broad and ill defined fuzzy line between avoidance and evasion!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
There's a very broad and ill defined fuzzy line between avoidance and evasion!
Tell that to the judge, not us. It will be the judge who decides the punishments!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Tell that to the judge, not us. It will be the judge who decides the punishments!
I thought it was the jury that decided guilt/innocence in our system. Whatever, grass the thieving buggers up every time.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

09-07-2020, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Trust me, with a good lawyer and a good accountant a person would need to be exceptionally silly or have broken the 11th. commandment to even appear in front of a judge let alone get banged up.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top