Join for free
Page 10 of 11 « First < 8 9 10 11 >
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2021, 09:44 PM

Re: Manual (stick shift)or Automatic transmission

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Automatics sound convenient, but upon reflection I think I'd stick with manual as it gives you more control.

An example:
The other day, Marge was putting the car away in the garage (DVLA are still wondering whether to restore my licence!), and we are obliged to drive from a standstill up our drive which is something like a 1 in 4 rise in places.
Marge is a very good driver and has become used to doing this, but she remarked at the time that it's a good idea that we don't have an automatic.

For those in the know, how well would an automatic cope setting off on such a steep rise, especially with a relatively narrow opening to negotiate at the top?

EDIT:
Oi! My avatar (of which I'm proud) disappeared.
Oh, it's back now.
Homer, I definitely agree with you on that score. A manual transmission is far better with hilly starts.

That being said, my fancy wheels has hillstart assist but I’ve never tried it out in icy weather conditions.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2021, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
That being said, my fancy wheels has hillstart assist but I’ve never tried it out in icy weather conditions.
And not likely to from your neck of the woods..............
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Automatics sound convenient, but upon reflection I think I'd stick with manual as it gives you more control.

An example:
The other day, Marge was putting the car away in the garage (DVLA are still wondering whether to restore my licence!), and we are obliged to drive from a standstill up our drive which is something like a 1 in 4 rise in places.
Marge is a very good driver and has become used to doing this, but she remarked at the time that it's a good idea that we don't have an automatic.

For those in the know, how well would an automatic cope setting off on such a steep rise, especially with a relatively narrow opening to negotiate at the top?.
Unless your brakes are broken it is easy, You can use either your hand brake or because your left foot isn't tied up with operating a clutch you can use the foot brake (though personally I would not recommend left foot braking normally). Easy as, not different to a hill start just easier to do. An auto can crawl up a slope as easy if not easier than a manual.

There is only one circumstance where a manual is better than an auto and that is to bump start the engine but that is what jumper leads are for.

I can't see what extra control a manual gives over an auto and manual gear changes are so much slower (unless you don't use the clutch).
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 10:16 AM

At one time in my cabbing career, I was given a manual cab to work. I kept on doing in clutches. Totally useless in the London traffic. With the automatics, I did use my left foot a lot on the brake. Well it gave it something to do.
Some of the auto cars that I have owned, do give an option of manual gear change.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 10:31 AM

I'm a lifelong devotee of auto transmission and I can truthfully say it has never caused me any problem, in fact I cannot imagine why anyone would want to drive a manual particularly in town or city traffic. As Emjay says, anyway many autos these days have a manual option such as my Peugeot 508 has, and I have to admit I did try it once but I couldn't really see the point...
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 10:54 AM

I too prefer autos. When my rheumatoid arthritis started I had a manual and found it hurt my hand, constantly having to hold the gear stick. I went on to get an auto and was happier.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
And not likely to from your neck of the woods..............
Definitely not!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

04-02-2021, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
At one time in my cabbing career, I was given a manual cab to work. I kept on doing in clutches. Totally useless in the London traffic. With the automatics, I did use my left foot a lot on the brake. Well it gave it something to do.
Some of the auto cars that I have owned, do give an option of manual gear change.
Still prefer a manual transmission
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

04-02-2021, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I'm a lifelong devotee of auto transmission and I can truthfully say it has never caused me any problem, in fact I cannot imagine why anyone would want to drive a manual particularly in town or city traffic. As Emjay says, anyway many autos these days have a manual option such as my Peugeot 508 has, and I have to admit I did try it once but I couldn't really see the point...
Yes, you can definitely kickstart a manual transmission!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

04-02-2021, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I too prefer autos. When my rheumatoid arthritis started I had a manual and found it hurt my hand, constantly having to hold the gear stick. I went on to get an auto and was happier.
Now that’s a valid reason to have an automatic transmission vehicle!

Page 10 of 11 « First < 8 9 10 11 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top