Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 10:28 PM

Re: Have not been well

Awful for you . So glad your on the mend . Viruses are horrible and seem to go on for weeks .

Keep well
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 10:45 PM

Hope you are feeling better Ethel I had Noro Virus a couple of years ago ,it was a nightmare....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Norovirus is causing problems at the moment, glad you are on the mend.

I agree Ray, I heard about it on our local news tonight as well.

It usually does it's rounds of the hospitals every winter, but it seems to have started early this year.

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/n...-bug-1-9105997

Poor you, Ethel. That sounds pretty grim. I really hope you are beginning to feel better now and continue your recovery.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2019, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ethel ->
I’V had a virus for 2 and a half week . . . Then week later could not get out of bed. Hubby got doctor in she said you have a temperature of 38 drink fluids and take paracetamol, I had been doing that."

This is a familiar story and disheartening to me personally. I am not a doctor but I take keen interest in natural cures and the power of nature. It is my personal belief that you badly exacerbate such a condition when you take paracetamol or aspirin or neurofen tablets.

The fever you get during these illnesses IS NOT THE ILLNESS ITSELF. It is a defence mechanism of your body and a very vital one.

The body raises your temperature naturally because the bugs and viruses can not keep replicating in that raised temperature environment.

Remember that some bugs and bacteria can replicate in short periods of time. It's a prime reason in catering why you don't leave food out at room temperatures because bacteria and viruses will multiply and create contaminated food so you store it in the fridge or cook it at high heat.

Understand that bugs/bacteria multiply exponentially.

Start with 1 and that becomes 2 then 2 become 4 . . .

1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048,4096 . . . etc

In literally no time at all your body can be absolutely swamped by the vast numbers of bugs invading you.

The body's No 1 prime defence mechanism against this is to give you a fever.

To raise your body temperature so that the bugs can't multiply any longer. Then all that is left to do is send in the white cell "soldiers" to go and destroy the bugs that are left.

As soon as you start taking those paracetamol, neurofen, aspirin tablets you FORCE your body temperature back down. You are thus fighting and obstructing your own body's defences. As a result the bugs are then free to multiply indefinitely and your body is soon overrun.
In an older more vulnerable person that could actually kill them.

Learn from this imho

There are times when a really high temperature can be dangerous but you can monitor your own temperature with a thermometer very easily.

Don't fight your body and make things worse for yourself.

Your body knows exactly what it is doing and doesn't need pharmaceutical products to cure colds and viruses.

Best
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2019, 02:33 PM

Sorry to hear you haven't been well Ethel. Hopefully, all will be back to normal by Christmas.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 09:38 AM

I have the same symptoms as Ethel. Just spent a horrendous week coughing, being sick, shivering and not had any food for three days. Spent most of the time in bed moaning and groaning. I've never drunk so many soft drinks, as my mouth was incredibly dry with my nose being blocked up. Thank goodness the wife was at hand, but low and behold, she's copped a dose of it now! As being said earlier in the thread, there is loads of this norovirus about. I hope for everyone sake, that they give this nasty a miss. Slightly better today, but God, what a horrific experience !
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 05:50 PM

It's 13 days now since my nose began running like a tap .
Several people had coughed onto me.
Since then whatever virus it is has had a field day and keeps tricking me into thinking it's passing one day but comes back the next.
I live alone and so you have to get of bed ,make drinks etc.
I havn't resorted to any medication apart from 2 paracetamol once or twice a day if the pain in my shoulder bones gets bad but it isn't flu .
I've only just recovered my smell and taste.
The phlegm coughed up is clear .
Food has been those sachets of porridge you do in the microwave, soup and lots of tinned and fresh fruit topped with Natural yoghurt .
This time I havn't caught the Norovirus but have had it twice in the past . Now that IS bad.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 05:55 PM

Oh dear, all these poorly people.
I know what it's like if you don't feel well and you are on your own.

Hope you feel better soon, Zuleiker.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Oh dear, all these poorly people.
I know what it's like if you don't feel well and you are on your own.

Hope you feel better soon, Zuleiker.
Better than I was Mups , at least when you live on your own you can keep going back to bed ?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 10:03 PM

Hope Ethel and all others are soon feeling better. I have had a cold and cough for two weeks now and feel like I am turning a corner, as in coughing less, blowing my nose less, and it’s not filling up with gunk so much! At times I felt I was going to choke, I couldn’t breathe. I had plenty of bed rest in the beginning, after seeing to the dog. Thankfully I now have the garden I can chuck her out into for those times I didn’t want to walk her.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top