Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2015, 07:00 PM

Car lights

Most cars you see on the road nowadays all seem to have their lights on why? Is it because their worried they won't be seen? Even on really bright sunny days there they are with the lights on. I suppose many of you on here drive along with your lights on all i can say is pathetic it should be banned.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2015, 07:26 PM

Re: Car lights

Many of the newer cars have Daytime Running Lights which switch on automatically after sensing there is less daylight.

I don't drive but my son in law has a car with these lights and he explained it to me when I queried it with him last year
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2015, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Many of the newer cars have Daytime Running Lights which switch on automatically after sensing there is less daylight.

I don't drive but my son in law has a car with these lights and he explained it to me when I queried it with him last year
What did your son explain Mags
I asked the question ages ago - but I forget now why they are on in daylight ...................
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2015, 07:43 PM

Sensing less daylight?? I see many cars with their lights on in bright sunshine.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2015, 07:46 PM

More Volvos about than there used to be?
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2015, 07:48 PM

I only put my lights on if the weather is bad or if its dull or foggy...I really dont see the point in lights on in sunshine.
I think a lot of the newer cars have lights on all the time though,my headlights will come on automatically if it gets to a certain dullness,but I still have to turn them on if its dark .
ScottishCatLady
Moray, Scotland.
ScottishCatLady is female  ScottishCatLady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2015, 07:53 PM

Most new cars (if not all) these days have lights that turn on ALL THE TIME when the ignition is on/engine running. Much like Volvos always have.

I don't see the point to be honest. I am sure the reason is to prevent accidents due to people forgetting to turn their sidelights on in poor weather/low light conditions but that is just making people lazy in my opinion. If you drive you have to be able to operate the vehicle SAFELY.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2015, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by ScottishCatLady ->
Most new cars (if not all) these days have lights that turn on ALL THE TIME when the ignition is on/engine running. Much like Volvos always have.

I don't see the point to be honest. I am sure the reason is to prevent accidents due to people forgetting to turn their sidelights on in poor weather/low light conditions but that is just making people lazy in my opinion. If you drive you have to be able to operate the vehicle SAFELY.
Ah yes - that's the answer I recall now - thank you
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2015, 08:06 PM

Yes another directive from somewhere, lights on during the day for cars.

Reason being is it makes cars more easy to see and motorcycles harder so cars can kill more of the latter.
Worse for me are the stop start engines , that would drive me nuts. Believe it was introduced by manufacturers of starter motors.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2015, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
Yes another directive from somewhere, lights on during the day for cars.

Reason being is it makes cars more easy to see and motorcycles harder so cars can kill more of the latter.
Worse for me are the stop start engines , that would drive me nuts. Believe it was introduced by manufacturers of starter motors.
My first Cooper did that drove me up the wall as I kept thinking I'd stalled the bloody thing and everyone was thinking, "Hee hee stalled it!!" like we used to!
I called up the dealer thinking something was wrong and it was all explained.
But you can turn it off.

Too flipping clever by half these cars now...Lordruthio's car starts the windscreen wipers up when it senses rain, switches headlights on if it's getting dark or if you go through a tunnel...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top