Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2015, 10:35 AM

Re: Boiler Service

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I had my boiler (outdoor oil-fired) serviced two years ago. It had developed a pressure leak and some of the valves / air bleeds were knackered. It hadn't been fully serviced since new (7 years previous), but the heating man said that it was just about due for a service and doing it every year was a waste of time and money.

A full service, safety check and all the parts were about £150. Efficiency was checked at 92%. Back at work, the maintenance man who looks after the gas boilers said that if they work and are safe, he leaves them alone.

Yes, but the average house holder wouldn't know if a boiler was safe or not unless it was checked/serviced, Grumble.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2015, 03:09 PM

I have just had my boiler insurance quote and this includes an annual service. By Glowworm.
£298.80
A bit high I thought but would I get it cheaper considering the age?
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2015, 03:28 PM

We have a contract with British gas £19 something a month, we are covered for call out 24/7 Xmas too. serviced each year radiators checked.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2015, 04:52 PM

Mups, The two people who told me about servicing were qualified maintenance engineers. No doubt they would be happy to take your money and if it gives you peace of mind, that's fine.

My boiler sits outside the house, and for that particular model, the plumber thought that a full service every 5 years was OK and a new burner nozzle every 2 years.

I have the chimney (for the multi-fuel stove in the lounge) swept every two years.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2015, 10:14 PM

[QUOTE=Grumblewagon;704492]Mups, The two people who told me about servicing were qualified maintenance engineers. No doubt they would be happy to take your money and if it gives you peace of mind, that's fine.

I think you misunderstood what I meant George.
For qualified engineers to recommend boilers must be safe as long as they are working OK, seems a bit reckless to me.
THEY know what they're doing, because as you said they are 'qualified maintenance engineers'. However, I meant how would your average untrained household know if a gasket needed replacing or there was any carbon monoxide, so better safe than sorry I say.

Well I know what I mean, anyway.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2015, 11:16 PM

Why do people waste so much money on service contracts , baffles me as it is such a waste of money.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2015, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
I have just had my boiler insurance quote and this includes an annual service. By Glowworm.
£298.80
A bit high I thought but would I get it cheaper considering the age?
Sooner jump under a bus than pay that, mine has been running 25 years and never gone wrong. Service and new thermo -couple every three years, £45. In fact it was never serviced at all for 20 years.

300 quid for 25 years, that is 7 grand.
dukeofearl
south coast uk

10-09-2015, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
[/B]

Yes, but the average house holder wouldn't know if a boiler was safe or not unless it was checked/serviced, Grumble.
Guess all Over50 forum posters must be average then. What about mugs who insure washing machines Pipework, Sky Boxes Car mechanics Wiring etc etc
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-09-2015, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
Guess all Over50 forum posters must be average then.
What about mugs who insure washing machines Pipework, Sky Boxes Car mechanics Wiring etc etc

That's a safe bet, Duke. What's that got to do with the price of fish?
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 07:27 AM

Sooner jump under a bus than pay that, mine has been running 25 years and never gone wrong. Service and new thermo -couple every three years, £45. In fact it was never serviced at all for 20 years.

300 quid for 25 years, that is 7 grand.
It's only money. Considering we did not pay for this heating system, boiler and 8 rads, hot water, It's not a bad deal.
If the system developed a major fault, I wonder what the cost would be for repair?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top