Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 11:41 AM

Let's Have A General Election ASAP!

It's the only way forward now as far as I can see.
In that event, Labour would be wiped out,
and Theresa May with absolutely no doubt would have a fresh mandate to carry out the will of the people.
Brexit means Brexit.
Perhaps then the Remoaners would Exit!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Tory-MPs.html

There WILL be an early election if judges and remain campaigners do not back down in their bid to delay Brexit, warn Tory MPs. Tory MPs warn of 'immediate' election if Brexit plan is overturned. Prime Minister vowed to appeal High Court's verdict over Article 50. Court ruled Government had to allow MPs to vote on the way forward

Theresa May could be forced to hold an early election if judges and Remain campaigners do not back down in the war against Brexit, Tory MPs warned last night.

On a frantic day at Westminster, the Prime Minister vowed to appeal yesterday’s High Court verdict which would allow Parliament to frustrate or even scupper the process of Britain leaving the EU.

No 10 sent a clear message to the courts that 17.4million voters had backed Brexit and that they should not get in the way of ‘delivering the best deal for Britain’.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 11:44 AM

Re: Let's Have A General Election ASAP!

I will forecast this right now.
Mark my words.
There WILL be an early General Election in the coming months over this.
Of that I have no doubt!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 11:48 AM

She cannot call a General Election without a vote of no confidence can she?
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales

04-11-2016, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
She cannot call a General Election without a vote of no confidence can she?
I don't think that is quite correct Purwell.
I was looking at TV news this morning and as far as I could gather, she would need MPs to vote for a General Election, but as I understand it, they would do just that.
Mind you.
With the Labour lot.
That would be like Turkeys voting for Christmas!
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 12:26 PM

In order to trigger a General Election before the due date in 2020 the House of Commons must support the motion not by a simple majority but with two thirds of the votes.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->

That would be like Turkeys voting for Christmas!
Which has already happened and Christmas is not very far away now.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 01:34 PM

Oh gawd! I couldn't stand the stress!
Not one party has a viable leader!
Let the Tories sort out Brexit, it's their baby, they shouldn't be allowed to wriggle out of sorting it out and giving us a stable outlook for the future.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 01:56 PM

An election would just be a distraction, although I agree Mrs May could use a bigger majority for the more domestic agenda I can't see how it would help with Brexit..
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 01:58 PM

The judges only pass judgement on the validity of invoking clause 50 of the treaty we were a signatory party to ... they have said it would be illegal to invoke clause 50 without consultation with parliament under present legislation.
A general election wouldn't change a thing.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2016, 02:04 PM

Hi

First of all the Judges have not conspired to delay Brexit.

They were asked to give a decision on a point of law, this is what their job is and what they have done.

The fact is that the Tories made a very stupid mistake in the Referendum Bill, they did not include in it a simple statement that the result would be legally binding.

The stupidity of Cameron in this respect is disgusting, it has allowed those who wish to overturn a democratic vote an opening, even if it is just to delay it.

My personal preference is to get a vote in Parliament in a couple of weeks time on a simple proposition, That this House agrees to the implementation of Article 50.

Over, done with and off we go.

No discussion of our aims, no point in giving our hand away and then, and only then, if it does not get through, an Election.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top