Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2015, 11:36 PM

Store closures

I heard on the news a few days ago, that B & Q intend closing 60 stores over the next two years.
Homebase are closing 80 of their stores too. Our local one here, has already closed.

I wonder what's going on. Why are these big DIY stores not getting the custom now? Where are people going instead?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2015, 05:57 AM

Re: Store closures

Austerity, the internet, budget stores all will be eating into profits for shareholders, customers have choices where to spend there hard earned cash.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2015, 07:35 AM

B&Q is OK for the occasional purchase or special offer on a Wednesday, but for most serious purchases, you'd go to a builder's merchant and pay half the price.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2015, 07:57 AM

I don't think people are DIYing like they used to, people aren't buying homes at the bottom end of the market where they would spend a year or two making it their own, many more people rent and that means no repairs or decorating.
Also fashions in decorating used to move fast when we had decorating shows on TV acres of MDF sold etc now it's baking and cooking shows and lemons whizzing out of the shops.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2015, 08:11 AM

It's my fault, most of my projects are done and dusted, and I'm not getting any younger.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2015, 08:52 AM

Also, there are only so many drills, baths, screws etc you can fit into your home. When a person has done their DIY they're not going to rip it out and do it all again. Not like a supermarket visit which needs to be done all the time.

I've not set foot in my local Homebase for probably a year or more. I may have popped in to the local B&Q but don't think I bought anything.

If sales are down, so are the local profits. Sad, I know. However I'm dreading if my local Morrisons closes if the boss targets it! I'd be bereft.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2015, 08:56 AM

I think stores like B&M are enjoying the market. A cheap B&Q.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2015, 09:04 AM

And the Pound shops too. They sell a huge selection of ironmongery, car accessories etc.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2015, 09:35 AM

My local B&Q is always packed with people and you have to queue for ages to pay.
The local builders merchant is a lot more expensive for the general public who don't have trade accounts. They tend to sell in large quantities too with boxes of things rather than packets.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2015, 09:53 AM

I love the B&Q and would be very sad to see ours go. Everything is on display and I can walk round and get some useful ideas on what to use for particular jobs. I don't always know what the correct name is for what I need, and you feel such a fool in a small DIY shop: 'Oh, you mean a 45 degree rotating flange sprocket'....silence or sniggers from all the tradesmen queing behind you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top