Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2015, 10:06 AM

Re: Store closures

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I love the B&Q and would be very sad to see ours go. Everything is on display and I can walk round and get some useful ideas on what to use for particular jobs. I don't always know what the correct name is for what I need, and you feel such a fool in a small DIY shop: 'Oh, you mean a 45 degree rotating flange sprocket'....silence or sniggers from all the tradesmen queing behind you.
I agree with you and where am I gonna get me paint now
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2015, 10:10 AM

Got to remember that Lidl's have cornered the market on angle grinders and angle grinder stands. Must have hit B&Q etc. sales very hard.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2015, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I love the B&Q and would be very sad to see ours go. Everything is on display and I can walk round and get some useful ideas on what to use for particular jobs. I don't always know what the correct name is for what I need, and you feel such a fool in a small DIY shop: 'Oh, you mean a 45 degree rotating flange sprocket'....silence or sniggers from all the tradesmen queing behind you.
Completely agree I much prefer a shop look to a store than a builder yard where I feel completely out of my depth.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2015, 10:19 AM

OH gave his man cave a good clean out last year and the result was that my daughter is the proud owner of a good set of power tools , angle grinder , drill both with cord for heavy jobs and cordless for lightweight, jigsaw etc plus two tool boxes with various building and plumbing hand tools..

Who needs B&Q when you have a tool hoarding parent?
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2015, 04:22 PM

B&Q is OK for browsing, but if you want a pair of hinges or a box of screws, they're about twice the price of a builders' merchant. Homebase is even more expensive. I always preferred Wickes, but I don't have a local one.

My local builders' merchant has a large box where they put all the scrap wood (mostly from packaging). It has a sign 'Help yourself' - I've got some good bits of timber from it and the staff have even encouraged me to take more as they want rid of it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2015, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Completely agree I much prefer a shop look to a store than a builder yard where I feel completely out of my depth.

Yes, I can fully understand that Julie, I think I'd be the same.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2015, 09:31 AM

We'll, I might find myself 'out of my comfort zone' in some shops, but it's a matter of explaining what job you're doing and asking advice on what you need to do it.

O.H. used to work in a builders' merchant (and a lot of women do these days) and what she didn't like was someone thinking they knew what they wanted and then complaining that they had been given the wrong item. Much better to say, this is what I'm doing, what bits do I need? In my experience, people will be pleased to help.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2015, 10:39 AM

My husband has just gone to Wickes for some wood panelling as were boarding the van inside. He say's it's much cheaper than B & Q but he'll still call there if Wickes doesn't have what he needs..
You can get most things on-line or on your local Gumtree site or Ebay and just go and pick it up for half the price if it's available though..

And just to add my husband's a Truck driver and most places he delivers to have skips, and they don't mind him taking wood and bits from them so that's a large saving for us
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2015, 11:59 AM

At present we have a B&Q, and a Screwfix, both owned by the same company, and they are only 200 yards apart.
That's good planning.
gardener
UK
gardener is male  gardener has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2015, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I heard on the news a few days ago, that B & Q intend closing 60 stores over the next two years.
Homebase are closing 80 of their stores too. Our local one here, has already closed.

I wonder what's going on. Why are these big DIY stores not getting the custom now? Where are people going instead?

Find B&Q expensive these days. I look for places that sell at the prices B&Q used to charge.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top