Join for free
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2015, 06:38 PM

Bathroom refurb

Doing up the bathroom and I've tried to get advice on what sanitary ware to buy, bath, taps, shower, flooring, tiles - just about everything (I hope). So now my garage is absolutely full of everything needed for the new bathroom, which will hopefully be fitted soon............and I'm now thinking about mirror, cupboard, shelf etc. BUT the new basin is totally flat - no handy little indentation for soap, so it looks like I need to buy not only a wall fitted cup-thing for toothbushes but also a soap dish!!! What do other's do?
I've just seen an "Interdesign, Soap Saver Soap Dish, Large, Clear" on Amazon which looks like it would sit on the flat basin, but no idea if any soapy water would run into the basin or onto the floor............any ideas???
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2015, 07:44 PM

Re: Bathroom refurb

The lack of indentation for a bar of soap is possibly because so few people actually use real soap any more its all liquid goo in dispensers these days so the little indentation would topple the bottle over..
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2015, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
The lack of indentation for a bar of soap is possibly because so few people actually use real soap any more its all liquid goo in dispensers these days so the little indentation would topple the bottle over..
I use real soap..........and would suggest that those who use the liquid goo in dispensers do so because there's no little indentation for soap!

Marketing, marketing, marketing.............recognise it, take stand against it and refuse to be bullied!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2015, 09:34 PM

Ah you've given me food for thought here, Lindyloo! Been talking house renovations with my friend who has just gone. I was saying about the home improvements I want doing - bathroom, kitchen, bedroom (and currently changing storage units in the lounge), and I'd better make sure I buy a basin with the indentation. I hate the flat based ones, and especially the tiny basins you get in hotels that don't allow you room to wash your hands, or brush your teeth!

I have to admit I do use the liquid soap more often than the bars, because yes, they do make a terrible mess. But are cheaper. But as I'm fussy about washing my hands, I do prefer liquid soap mostly, rather than the thought of spreading any germs or bacteria round and round a bar.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2015, 09:40 PM

I use real soap Lindyloo, and have a flat basin. It's fine. Probably better as the soap drains and doesn't go soggy. I also I have a nice tall container to keep toothpaste and brush in. I think it's supposed to be for a night light but as it has a boat theme it works well in my beach themed bathroom. I sit it on the wide top end of the bath next to the basin. Or it can sit on the basin.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2015, 01:02 AM

I have a flat basin and I have a heavy duty suction two mug thing on one side for toothbrushes/toothpaste and a similar soap dish with a double layer drainage thing one on the other side and that works or me. The new suction type seem to work fine on tiles.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

24-09-2015, 07:18 AM

Thanks for those replies. I've got a minor dilemma with this as the builder & plumber will be doing the refurb while I'm on holiday so by the time I return, all will be clean and shiney! That's the theory anyway! As I don't drill into tiles I need to decide what I want and where I want it, buy it, and describe all that in notes for when they start. As they'll want to be paid when I get back from holiday, perhaps they'll do some finishing off then.............

Jazzi, if you want any advice about all things bathroom.........the first plumber/builder told me to decide what I wanted and they'd fit! So I've learned more about bathroom sanitary ware/tiles/ceilings etc etc than I ever imagined.........it could be my chosen subject on University Challenge!!!
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2016, 03:59 PM

Hope it's been done as that was 3 months ago.

I also had one done (conversion from bathroom to shower-room) last year and I love it.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2016, 12:21 PM

According to your profile you're in the USA, so whatever team helped you would be too far away for me!

Also of course we have to be careful with recommendations from new members when it's their first post. May just be advertising.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top