Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 12:24 AM

Re: Soup Maker

I'm another in the 'don't see the point of a soup maker' brigade.
Aysa, I just store my soup in plastic containers like ice cream containers or in portions in smaller containers.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Can I ask how do you store your soup in the freezer,I mean what type of containers do you use as space in my freezer is limited
Double polythene freezer bags
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 06:56 AM

Thanks
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Double polythene freezer bags
Me too.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 07:48 AM

I generally batch cook for the freezer so those little soup makers would not hold sufficient. Would have to run it several times.

My soup cauldron holds a gallon - so it is all done in one batch then divided into containers - saves time and fuel.

Storage is in 2 x portion containers - square ones so they stack easily in the chest freezer.
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 08:21 AM

Aysa, I have some plastic containers that I got from Poundland that I store the soup in. But I can't store much in plastic bags, as my freezer drawers are like basket drawers, so put a plastic bag of something in there and it freezes, gets stuck in the basket and then I can't get it out!
I had a liquidiser before the soup jug, and like I said my daughter bought mine for me, I would never have thought about buying one, but am glad she got me one
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Marion ->
Well I am going to be different. My daughter bought me one of these a couple of years ago, and its great. I can either have smooth soup or chunky soup. I make a few different flavours then freeze them. You can just put the ingredients in switch it on and forget about it.

So I say yes Aysa, go ahead and get one, you won't regret it.
How do you sweat off the vegetables to give the soup flavour in a soup maker, they look tall and narrow
If you have to do it in a pan what is the point of transferring it a separate container to cook it in .

I use one very large wide pan for the whole process and make about 6 portions at a time which like many others here I freeze in small plastic containers.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 09:21 AM

As a dedicated pan user that needs her '5 a day' I had a look at Soup makers and WOW ...there are some fancy ones out there and with fancy prices.

Not sure I would buy one though as I enjoy the process of preparing,cooking and adjusting things as I go along. That is what makes cooking so much fun and which you could not do with these machines.

List of makes
http://soup-diet.co.uk/which-soup-maker/
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 09:29 AM

I don't see the point in soup makers and guess they may encourage people to overcook the soup .

I know some people in my family throw any tired old vegetables into a pot, cook them for hours , blend them and call the resulting tasteless mess soup when beautifully flavoured soup is made with the freshest of vegetables and cooked for just 20 - 30 mins to preserve the flavour and the colour of the vegetables .
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 10:33 AM

The leek soup I made yesterday was absolutely delicious with some spare for the freezer too..
Ive decided to forego the soup maker and instead get a good blender as Ive only got one of those stick blender thingies which is on its last legs and doesnt do a very good job

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top