Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 11:07 AM

Re: Soup Maker

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't see the point in soup makers and guess they may encourage people to overcook the soup .

I know some people in my family throw any tired old vegetables into a pot, cook them for hours , blend them and call the resulting tasteless mess soup when beautifully flavoured soup is made with the freshest of vegetables and cooked for just 20 - 30 mins to preserve the flavour and the colour of the vegetables .
TBH I do both I make soup to use up stuff past it's best and also with fresh ingredients sometimes too. It doesn't have to be tasteless some vegetables taste stronger when slightly past their best - even supermarket tomatoes can taste much better when kept over a week, they loose their shape and texture but flavour improves.

Mushrooms too taste stronger when not so fresh.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 11:08 AM

I never 'sweat' my veg and never ever blend the soup....what's the point !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I never 'sweat' my veg and never ever blend the soup....what's the point !
Some soups need the veggies sweated to improve the flavour and some should not be chunky - my stilton and broccoli for instance needs to be blended or it would not be so nice.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 12:22 PM

Yes of course you're right....I've got my silly head on this morning !
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Can I ask how do you store your soup in the freezer,I mean what type of containers do you use as space in my freezer is limited
Sainsbury's sell freezer bags which are designed for liquids, I think they have a 'gusset' that forms a brick-shape when frozen. Not tried them, as I use old Flora margarine tubs: the 1 kg size is perfect for a 3-4 person serving of soup!
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the info Deb,will look out for those from Sainsburys when im next there
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2015, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Aysa, don't waste your money, as everyone says, use a Saucepan and if you want a creamy soup, put it in the liquidizer.

Soups are so easy to make, I like making Carrot and Coriander or Potato and Leeks.
Mmmm Potato and Leek has to be my favourite!. I have to confess not heard about these new soup makers. I don't have a Food Processor. All I have as an aid when making some soups is my trusty little mini vegetable chopper that I paid £7.99 for from Argos years ago. it is so small it only has the capacity to hold about 1 large onion cut into quarters, or 2 large carrots cut into thick slices. but my goodness, I have certainly had my money's worth out of it since I first bought it. , 2 presses of the button on the top and my veg are practically minced to death. Perfect for soups though.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 09:15 AM

I like helpful gadgets and am thinking of buying a soup maker.
Has anybody got one or are they a waste of time?
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 09:21 AM

For me, it's just one more thing to clutter up me cupboards!
I have no problem cooking soup in a pot, and then if I want it smooth or the like, I just use my blender. It doesn't take much time.
The ones I saw don't look very big? I make big pots of soup, so it's always there on a cold winter's day.
I'd say it's a personal choice, depending on what you're wanting it for.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 10:02 AM

As Lovemyboys says, if you've a saucepan and a blender you don't need a soup maker.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top