Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2015, 10:16 PM

Re: Noisy cold water.

You'll have an external stop cock outside somewhere, with your water meter. You'll also have an internal stop cock somewhere inside your house. Turn that a bit, so you reduce the amount of water entering the house.
Alternatively, if the noise comes just from one tap........check to see if there's an isolator value on the water feed to that tap. You should be able to turn that down a bit. That would at least give you an idea if that's the cause of the problem...........you don't need a pressure gauge.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 07:48 PM

Impossible to make sensiblke suggestions here unless and until OP explains what kind of noise it is and roughly where the noise is heard. For example:

1. Is the noise a humming sound or a knocking/clanking sound or a thumping sound?

2. If someone turns a tap on in one room, do you hear the noise from anywhere else in the house?
billclay
west Yorkshire
billclay is male  billclay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 08:27 PM

I have fixed noisy pipes in the past, try and locate exactly where the noise is coming from, the problem is usually that the pipework is not clipped down enough and as the water is turned on the loose pipework will rattle, as previously suggested determine what kind of noise it is, loose and rattling pipes could eventually cause leaks
Browbeaten
manchester
Browbeaten is male  Browbeaten has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 08:42 PM

Some very helpful replies here.
Anyone got any advice re a noisy wife?
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2015, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Browbeaten ->
Some very helpful replies here.
Anyone got any advice re a noisy wife?
Yes! Non stop entertainment! Take her to dinner dances, (black tie and posh frock do's); theatres to see plays/concerts/musicals/singalongs; disco's for dancing (preferably on tables!); and nightclubs for cocktails.

She's bored! Entertain her and give her some company for a change!
Browbeaten
manchester
Browbeaten is male  Browbeaten has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 01:17 AM

I was thinking more of the use of a monkey wrench Lindyloo
Lindyloo
isle of wight

04-11-2015, 08:11 AM

I used to have a husband like you!

Probably a good idea if you move to this thread:
http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=27358

Hope you learn something from that!
Browbeaten
manchester

04-11-2015, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the link Lindyloo.
I am afraid that would take too much effort on my part, I am used to having my breakfast in bed!
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 05:12 PM

Now now folks - behave.....
The noise is similar to an enormous rush of water, as if the tap is full on. But it isn't - just a slight opening of any tap connected to the mains (including the dishwasher and washing machine in the utility room).
For example, if one of us turns on a tap, however slightly, the loud hissing noise is heard over the house. A large four bed..
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
Now now folks - behave.....
The noise is similar to an enormous rush of water, as if the tap is full on. But it isn't - just a slight opening of any tap connected to the mains (including the dishwasher and washing machine in the utility room).
For example, if one of us turns on a tap, however slightly, the loud hissing noise is heard over the house. A large four bed..
.....and what does your plumber say about it ?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top