Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 08:47 AM

DIY sanding a floor

The floor in our small conservatory is old wooden floorboards, sadly in need of sanding and re-varnishing.

A year or two ago I got a quote for someone to do it - I don't mind paying the rate for the job but what he quoted was very expensive indeed, so am thinking of doing the job myself.

In the past I have bought a hand held sander - but it wasn't very efficient at all. Am thinking about hiring a larger sander - has anyone any advice?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 09:58 AM

Re: DIY sanding a floor

Hello Sky are you going to be the one using it. If you are not very tall or strong the large sanders can be heavy and difficult to maneuver, the smaller lighter ones can be easier .If you are hiring one try it out if you can.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 10:04 AM

I have sanded my timber floor with a 'random orbital sander' attached to a 100mm angle grinder. I will do the same again when it's time to reseal the floor.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 10:04 AM

We hired a large sander a while back, think of an old fashioned lawn mower and that gives you an idea of the work involved.

The results were worth it though and a lot cheaper than getting someone in.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 10:12 AM

Don't be too fussy..use the hand sander to give it a light sanding, then use a good quality polyurethane varnish and when the first coat is good and dry give it another light sanding then give it another coat of varnish.
That is much better, much easier and will give a good result and try to remember that is just the floor you are doing and not an expensive piece of furniture !
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 01:04 PM

Thank you all, some very useful tips there. Good point about the heaviness of the sander - also our conservatory is quite small so manoeuvring something the size of an old lawn mower in it might be a tall order!

I might go to a local hire company and see if they will let me have a try out with a sander.
Mr Ploppy, I googled a "random orbital sander" and am not sure how you would attach it to an angle grinder? Forgive my ignorance on the subject!
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Indigo ->
Mr Ploppy, I googled a "random orbital sander" and am not sure how you would attach it to an angle grinder? Forgive my ignorance on the subject!
It simply bolts on to the grinder as an attachment. But you can also buy a sander as a single unit.
I already had a 100mm angle grinder, so I bought the sander attachment and sanding disks and did the whole house at very low cost.
http://www.toolsparesonline.com/prod...al-sander.aspx
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 01:55 PM

What about painting the floorboards ?

I did this in my hall.
Indigo
UK

05-11-2015, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
What about painting the floorboards ?

I did this in my hall.
That's an idea I hadn't considered - thanks.

Mr Ploppy - thx for the additional info.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 03:28 PM

So what did you think of my suggestion Indigo....was it a non starter ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top