Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 06:04 PM

Re: DIY sanding a floor

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
So what did you think of my suggestion Indigo....was it a non starter ?
Of course not Malcolm, I found everyone's suggestions most helpful, as I said. I think like you said, it's important to do several coats with a light sand in between. I've done quite a bit of varnishing in my time, but never had to do any heavy duty sanding like this.
toyboyroy
South Wales
toyboyroy is male  toyboyroy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 08:17 PM

I agree with Mr Ploppy, but just buy a cheap dedicated Random Orbital Sander similar to this one

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb2...der-230v/46113

Try to get one with at least 430watts, use 80 grit for the first pass over and 120 grit for the second pass over and then vacuum all the dust up including the walls and ceilings.

Because the sander is round you may have to sand the corners by hand, but that should not be any problem.

Damp cloth the floor, let it dry and then with a good varnish like Sikkens give the floor two coats with a light sanding by hand in between with 180 or 240 grit, once again before doing the second coat give the floor another vacuum clean and damp cloth to ensure the is no dust to spoil the finish.

One last thing, make sure you wear a mask when sanding.

Roy
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2015, 09:16 PM

Thanks Roy, the detailed instructions are useful. I will wear a mask and also some goggles, or at least my specs, because I have found doing similar jobs in the past, like taking off paint with a hot air blower for instance, that I got bits going in my eyes if I didn't.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2015, 07:56 AM

The varnish I bought was a lot more expensive than all the sanding equipment and my floor, over 10 years old now, is still shining like new. With the odd scratch here and there made by me moving furniture. Must be more careful.
Indigo
UK

06-11-2015, 12:11 PM

I do think varnished floorboards look gorgeous, Mr P! We have a Victorian house, and the ones in our dining room and hall are, I believe, the original ones that were put in when the house was built, at around 1900.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2015, 12:26 PM

I agree with you, having seen a few very old houses with Jarrah floor boards. I found them a little too dark for my house and chose the lighter Tasmanian Oak instead. Not quite as expensive as Jarrah as well.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top