Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2015, 10:33 PM

Laying paving slabs

I am thinking of having a small grass area replaced with some decorative slabs of some sort.
If the dogs soil the new slabs and I want to hose down/disinfect the area, where will the water go?
Does there have to be a drain of some sort underneath do you think?
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2015, 10:53 PM

Re: Laying paving slabs

Brush it off the edges same as mine. Only you know where it will go , but put them on decent base material or they may soon be rocking
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2015, 11:43 PM

First of all measure the area you want to slab and check on the size/shape of slab to be laid.
You needa spirit level around 4ft long and a long piece of straight timber and a trowel. Possibly wood for a frame to work to to keep everything square or within working boundary

Link for the spirit level I bought

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Gener...200mm/p/167341

You will notice I keep referring to using a spirit level as this is the most important tool you will need. Without it don't even bother to start on the project.

At this stage check and double check everything it is too late when laying the slabs

First of all you need a good base made up if rubble about 3 to 4 inches deep at least if not deeper. Ground moves and you don't want the slabs lifting after laying

So you might well have to dig down a bit. Above you can see I made a frame up around the work area. This allowed me to get an idea if I could get a greenhouse fitted in and the angle as well as I had a limited work area.

To roughly smooth that off I had quite a bit of sharp sand I put over it but not the finished the slaps were laid on. This was tampered down firmly to see if there were and dips or rises across the area. Also to check levels as well.

That will then allow you to set out the slabs to see how they fit before the final part and allow you to get levels more or less right

Now comes the tricky part levelling off using sharp sand/cement with a ratio of 6 of sand to one of cement. And actually laying the slabs as previously set roughly out. I did not wet the sand/cement mix first of all to allow me to get the slabs level with each other but also the ground will do the soaking gradually anyway and set the mix. better to set slowly than fast.
This would be the the actually base the slabs were laid on

This was for my greenhouse base and may look on the slope but that is actually dead level

Notice I did not butt the slabs tightly together to allow surface water somwhere to escape even thought the slaps will be inside the greenhouse
Those gaps can be filled with silver sand if wanted .

Try and work out an area so that cutting slabs is unnecessory, I had the tool to cut so managed to cut to required size.

Ornamental slabs are not that thick (about 35mm if my memory serves me) so it is critical to have a firm level base for them to sit on. The ones used were 55mm as in the photo weigh about 96 lb and very heavy. Size 2ftx2ft used

just to show how important measuring is first you can now see how well the greenhouse sits on the base

If you intend to work on a DIY basis then spend time on thinking what you want, the shape of slabs- the colour of slabs- what they are made of.

I always prefer to make up my own sand/concrete mix as some pre made up bags may be quick setting stuff you do not want

Remember smooth slabs can be slippery in winter with a bit of ice on then , just another thing to think about.

Just a reminder of the before now you have seen the after

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2015, 12:34 AM

Bazza, thank you for all your clear advice, very kind.

As I said in my post though, I am thinking of having some slabs laid, I couldn't undertake that job by myself. All I wanted to know was, does there need to be a drain of some sort to take surface water away when I hose it down? I wouldn't want the flowerbeds all round it to be constantly be wet mud.

BTW, I like your greenhouse.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2015, 12:41 AM

If gaps are left as it pic no 3 that will be sufficient to drain water off. My patio already here has the same as I laid with same gap, and I don't have any problem with water drainage. Just do not let them cement in the gaps or you may well have problems. All I do is get silver sand and brush into gaps which allows water to soak away
If your having someone to do the work for you

1= Choose slabs that fit area and non slippery (wickes are very helpful here)

2= I would go for ones like I got 55mm thick, less likely to move

3 =make sure a deep enough sub base is done.

4= do not allow butting up slabs slight gap between

5 = watch every step they do carefully

6= take photos before -during and after as proof if needed for any reason.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

09-11-2015, 12:50 AM

OK bazza, thanks very much.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

09-11-2015, 01:01 AM

Mups

as a 5 year apprentice electrician on mainly building sites I was required to help out other trades as and when required.

So I did gain a lot of knowledge about how to -what to- and correct way to, on many aspects of any build.

Today there are so many do it quick-take the cheapest option so called builders out there now.

As for paying someone DO NOT PAY FULL AMOUNT IN ADVANCE.

You may well be asked to pay for material with the risk of being overcharged.

If I were you I would I would ask what material they needed , ie cement sand etc and order it myself from the store mentioned, or else just go and price everything up first, trust no one.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

09-11-2015, 01:09 AM

Oh and i did tidy up behind the greenhouse (Size 5x4 ft) as well and fitted small bits left over to fill gaps in red slabs. Did not want to go buy another slab so made do. I did cement the gaps here as surface water was not an issue.

Wife can use it for bringing on outdoor plants out of the wiind

To fit this in the space for extra storage

Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2015, 07:39 AM

If you are having them laid, then whoever is doing the work should be able to advise you on their initial inspection.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

09-11-2015, 06:46 PM

Yes, I need to talk to them more. Thanks Barry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top