Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 11:07 AM

UPVC and Composite doors.

What is the difference between UPVC and Composite exterior doors, and how can you tell the difference?
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 11:58 AM

Re: UPVC and Composite doors.

Pass..and I worked for a double glazing company for 4 years!
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 12:11 PM

UPVC is all plastic,Composite is layered with fiberglass,neither will rot,or shouldn't.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 02:10 PM

Thanks Dragon.
Why I asked is because I had a new front door. When I looked at the inner panel. ( that was the wrong design that I ordered and waiting for it to be changed) I was layered.
There was the outer skins, (dark brown) and what looked like polystyrene, then in the middle a black stuff. The bloke fitting it had to cut it to size and the off cut I looked at and the black stuff broke quite easily. It did not look like fibre glass.
Uff
Scotland
Uff is female  Uff has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 05:24 PM

What was it supposed to be Emjay? UPVC or composite? From my understanding composite is more expensive, mine looks like wood but it's dark blue, the colour that the joiner ordered.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 06:01 PM

Hmmmm this is interesting.

My house still its original front door (c1885) and my back door is also made of wood. I have, of late, wondered about having a new back door but the thought of 'plastic' puts me off ...

I shall watch this thread and ponder

Hmmmm ... guess I'm a traditionalist. As a small child, I remember being read the story of Alladin and was seriously vexed when ? his mother ? swapped the really nice old lamp for some shiny rubbish
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK

23-11-2015, 06:17 PM

It was supposed to have been composite and the price I paid was for that. But I did not order it myself, the guy who did the job did.
When it was delivered to him it came with the wrong panel, we were waiting for the right one which was to be fitted when got.
I do trust the guy as he has done quite a few jobs for me in the past.
At the moment I cannot get hold of him as he is not answering his mobile.
My neighbour who knows him well has also always used him,
And even knows where he lives.
We think all maybe not well with him.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 07:22 PM

A friend paid an enormous sum for a new front door 5+ years ago. Dark oak, it has never fitted properly, despite visits by "fitters", and is now fading to 50% white. It is a composition door. Despite her daughter's trying to get the company to rectify, she has had no luck.
In contrast, we had a hardwood front door, made to my design, about the same time, and it is still perfect.
Rachel - it is better to restore an old door, than waste money on plastics versions. Our last property on the mainland had an oak front door, which I restored it, so it still looked old, but was better looking and the fit improved.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK

23-11-2015, 07:26 PM

Update on the door fitter.
He is in hospital as he had a heart attack a couple of weeks ago. He phoned my neighbor in reply to his texts. He said to tell me not to worry, as he will get someone to sort out my door.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2015, 01:36 AM

The composite doors I've priced are quite expensive, around £800 but they look much better than the white UPVC type

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top