Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 11:14 PM

Cowboys

I have had cause to de-plaster our downstairs cloakroom, and the internal blockwork is inch perfect, the coursing and perps are spot on. The external brickwork by comparison is diabolical, why did the tradesman do the invisible stuff, and the skivvy do the visible, what the heck, will just have to live with it, or render the lot.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 11:41 PM

Re: Cowboys

That's the trouble when you start a job Spitty, you don't always know what you will unearth. You'll always know it's there now.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2015, 01:40 PM

Why are dodgy builders called 'cowboys' Spittie
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2015, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Why are dodgy builders called 'cowboys' Spittie
It is accepted as meaning reckless, wild or unreliable Patsy but only outside the United States! stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2015, 02:20 PM

Wild - reckless, I get it - thanks
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2015, 08:31 PM

I have seen an advert in the Birmingham Mail:- Re building work.

You have had the Cowboys in
Now call in the Indians.

Just loved it.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2015, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's the trouble when you start a job Spitty, you don't always know what you will unearth. You'll always know it's there now.
Sorry Mups, you slightly misunderstood, the wall I de-plastered was an internal one, built in lightweight block work, the laying of which is perfect, the brickwork on the outside of the house (the visible stuff) is diabolical, it's like the gaffer "Paddy" did the interior stuff, and the important exterior stuff was left to an apprentice.
The term Paddy was used intentionally, as I found an Irish newspaper from 1964 under the floorboards, Jem would probably know what it was from that vintage.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

20-12-2015, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
I have seen an advert in the Birmingham Mail:- Re building work.

You have had the Cowboys in
Now call in the Indians.

Just loved it.
I had some Indian Builders in, but they kept going for a leak, to much Teepee.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote Spitfire.
"The term Paddy was used intentionally, as I found an Irish newspaper from 1964 under the floorboards, Jem would probably know what it was from that vintage"

Ah 1964, a year before we were married, if that paper was the posh "Irish Times" it was probably announcing our engagement in the social section, followed by a magnificent ball in the Mansion House with the Lord Mayor of Dublin at the time.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2016, 05:09 AM

Unfortunately this isn't an isolated case.

Go to any newbuilds and you can see where the brickies changed during the build. The builders use the best(time served)to set out the foundations nice and true, up to dpc, these brickies then move onto the next plot.

Along come another gang to build up from there, then the foreman realises their not that clever and fires them off site, along come another gang, only slightly better than the previous and so it goes on. This is the downside to using Unknown sub-contractors.

I've been on sites where you can visibly tell there's been two or three different gangs working on the same plot, totally different standards of quality.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top