Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2016, 11:49 AM

Trading Standards?

I had a new central heating boiler intsalled, costing £3000, last September, after spending over £1000 on various repairs to the old system. The installer was recommended to me by Care and Repair and he did the job OK and said 'Any problems, give me a ring,' berfore departing, leaving the old boiler in front of the house to await removal.
The boiler is still there and several radiators inside the house have now stopped working. The installer left me his business card with two numbers on, one a land line and one mobile. I have rung both, repeatedely, leaving messages but have had no calls back from him. There is no address on the card.
I rang Care and Repair some weeks ago to ask them to get in touch with him and they, reluctantly agreed. This morning, finding yet another radiator stone cold, I rang the Council Trading Standards, who immediately put me through to Citizen's Advice, who were too busy to talk to me and promised to get someone to get in touch at some unspecified time in the future.
Any ideas or practical suggestions as to how to get something done about this?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2016, 12:00 PM

Re: Trading Standards?

Get another Plumber,go by recommendation from satisfied customers

the radiators might just need balancing , have you tried that ? we followed instructions on Youtube ..

If the Boiler was new in September , it will probably still be under warranty..
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2016, 06:44 PM

If it is just some of the radiators that are not getting warm they may just need bleeding.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2016, 11:16 PM

Fender and gasman are very experienced gas engineers, they will be along soon with some advice, I'm sure.

Was the "fitter" Gas Safe registered? If not this could be an unsafe or illegal installation.
Unfortunately guarantees are only as good as the company doing the fitting.
Trading Standards are pretty useless.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2016, 12:03 AM

That is appalling treatment, Sonia.
I would be on the phone to Care & Repair every single day until they gave me answers. Seeing as they recommended him, they should know he is useless. I would also tell them I was reporting it to Trading Standards, that might shake 'em up a bit. I agree with Tpin regarding was this man Gas Safe Registered?

I'm afraid I would make a right nuisance of myself until this was sorted.
Ring Trading Standards again and tell them C.A.B. are not bothered! How do you know the installation is even safe?
You can't throw good money away like that!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2016, 12:29 AM

Give me his contact details and I'll ring him.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2016, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the advice. I've watched the Youtube video and will try it out today, but the power is about to go off so it will be later. My system is oil fire because we don't have gass mains here. The boiler was installed in November last year.

I think Trading Standards no longer exists. We have to depend on charities these days if we want anything done.

I'll update later.
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2016, 04:53 PM

I concur with someone who suggested the radiators may need bleeding - a simple procedure you can easily do yourself. In a new system they may be more prone to need this.

Trading standards do still exist and you can find your local one at this website:
https://www.gov.uk/find-local-trading-standards-office
moreover
North Wales, UK

20-01-2016, 05:19 PM

So far, I have spoken to Care and Repair, 'Trading Standards' who handed me over the Citizens' Advice, who promised to call me back. Since the power has been off all afternoon, I missed their call and called them back a short time ago. They said they don't deal with consumer complaints and when I asked what had happened to Trading Standards, they told me they don't deal with complaints either. I was told to phone Companies House to see if the trader was still trading, or had gone out of business, in which case I may be able to take him to insolvency court, if I can find out where he lives and send him a registered letter.
There is no one to help me with my problem. I have tried to get back to Care and Repair to ask if they had any luck contacting the man but there's no one there.
I'll try to follow the youtube videos and see if I can do something but I'm not the most technical person on earth. If that fails, I'll just have to freeze to death and hope my heirs will be able to recoup the money.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2016, 05:29 PM

Have you no Men friends or male relatives that can sort it out for you ?
its a awful pickle to find your self in ,
The Council might be able to guide you to a decent Plumber / to sort it out ...
Remember if its your boiler at fault it should be still under warranty ..

another thought ,, try phoning Age concern maybe they have a voluntare Plumber or Gas person
http://www.ageuk.org.uk/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top