Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 10:10 PM

Bad chest conjestion.

Several weeks ago I posted about contracting a nasty chest bug. I never went away and now with my recent heart attack, I can barely breathe.

Anyone know any ides of how I can loosen the phlegm ? and cough it up ? It feels like it has hardened.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 10:13 PM

Re: Bad chest conjestion.

Inhaling steam will help ease the congestion and make it easier to cough up.
You need an expectorant!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 10:33 PM

Hopefully you will see this recipe : "Mix the juice of 2 lemons with 1/4 cup honey. Warm up 1/4 cup of olive oil, mixing the honey and lemon mixture into the olive oil while it is still warm on the stove (I let it bubble a little)."

It keeps in an airtight jar for about a week if kept in a cool place. It's extremely effective as an expectorant and is also anti viral.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 10:35 PM

There is also a mixture of crushed garlic and honey but it's absolutely disgusting. The one I like is warm milk with a tablespoon of butter and honey.

Something about melted/warmed fats helps to soothe the throat and loosen all the gunge.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 11:11 PM

If you have a nebuliser handy then get some saline and use that in the nebuliser it will move the mucous/phlegm.
Thats what I used to use before I stopped producing the phlegm.
Just ask your doctor he will prescribe it for you.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 11:18 PM

I hope you get better soon Bakerman.
I do have a tip. I will need to search out where I put it.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 11:21 PM

I know this is going to sound ridiculous but I had that problem last year, so every time it would get hard to break up, I would gargle with ice cold ginger ale. It gave me relief....

Perhaps you need to see your doctor. Maybe you need antibiotics.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

03-09-2018, 11:21 PM

Cupping also works. It's an ancient chinese remedy. But not sure how it goes with being post heart attack.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 12:13 AM

I just took a long hot shower. As hot as I could stand it.

I also just bought some liquid Robotussin (cough and chest congestion/maximum strength.

And I am rubbing Vicks Vapo-rub on my neck , chest and in my nose.

I have some ginger alee so I'll be trying that.

If that does not start to work within 24 hours , I'll go to the rest.

Holiday today so Dr. is closed. I may go tomorrow.

Also, I went to a Mexican medical supply just a block away, and I asked them about renting a bottle of oxygen, they seemed a bit confused about how many liters of pure oxygen / minute is safe. (in the US we go by percentages not by liters) .
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2018, 12:17 AM

Oh baker, sorry to hear you are I'll. I had pneumonia last year and being unable to breathe is really scarey. I found deep breathing to the bottom of my lungs helped release the crap. Also you may need antibiotics, don't ignore it, sometimes we need medical intervention. Get well soon x

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top