Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 11:09 AM

Re: how arguing more will make you smarter

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Whether it's called an argument or a debate doesn't matter, it rarely changes the other person's view.
Lengthy debate tends to shift the position of both over a longer period of time. People may not realise because they are more fixated on winning.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 11:09 AM

[QUOTE=AnnieS;1511140]Hey you rained on my parade!

Constructive debate is healthy and can be educational. Challenging thinking is what the article is about but it uses the language of conflict. Conflict is only positive where ego is put aside. But then if you put aside ego do you have any conflict left?[/QUOTE]

No, we have a cup of tea instead.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 11:15 AM

I think the article is saying that having a cup of tea and getting on with everyone leads to inertia and stifles creativity. But I am quite happy just having a cup of tea these days. After all with all the learning we still haven't progressed that much because all the conflict destroys half the learning along the way.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 11:29 AM

I dislike arguing; to me it is a pointless and time-consuming task.

Agree, though, that the internet can be a great thing.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top