Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 07:39 PM

When the time comes

When that sad inevitable time comes to say goodbye to your pet, a South African vet is urging pet owners not to leave their pets to die in a room full of strangers, he said some pet owners can’t face seeing their pet being put to sleep as it’s too hard for them, he’s seen too many animals searching for their owners in the last minutes of their lives, and he does his best to comfort them,
I cried like a baby when we had to have our cat put to sleep, my wife left the room but I stayed and stroked and talked to her as the vet administered the injection to put her to sleep.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 07:42 PM

Re: When the time comes

I would never leave a pet to die alone. However painful it would be/ has been, in fact, I would be there to share their final journey.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 07:45 PM

It's a heartbreaking time and the tears flow freely, but I've always stayed with my dogs at the end, I couldn't really bear not to as it's the last kindness that I will ever be able to show them.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 07:48 PM

Oh my goodness. I can’t imagine having my best friend put down and leaving. As painful as it is I’ve stayed with them right ‘till the very end. It IS exceptionally painful losing a pet even when you know it’s the best choice for them.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 07:50 PM

Treat me kindly my beloved friend ,
for no heart in all the world is more grateful for your loving kindness,
than your loving heart

Do not break my spirit with a stick ,
for though I may lick your hand between blows , your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me learn

Speak to me often
for your voice is the worlds sweetest music , you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when the sound of your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear

Please take me inside when it’s cold & wet
for I am a domesticated animal ,
no longer accustomed to the bitter elements
I ask no greater glory than the privilege
Of sitting at your feet by the hearth

Keep my pan filled with water
For I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst
Feed me clean food so that I may do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life if your life is ever in danger

And my friend, when I am very old and I no longer enjoy food health , hearing and sight , do not make heroic efforts to keep me going . I am not having any fun.

Please see that my trusting life is taken gently . I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.

Beth Norman Harris
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 07:53 PM

Ive been there for all my pets, never allowed a vet to take them

With Gunnar I insisted the vet came out to us and he was PTS on my lap whilst eating malteesers

Alfie was PTS at the vets, but we were given and room alone and he too was PTS on my lap

Even when I have to have a hen PTS, I stay with them
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
When that sad inevitable time comes to say goodbye to your pet, a South African vet is urging pet owners not to leave their pets to die in a room full of strangers, he said some pet owners can’t face seeing their pet being put to sleep as it’s too hard for them, he’s seen too many animals searching for their owners in the last minutes of their lives, and he does his best to comfort them,
I cried like a baby when we had to have our cat put to sleep, my wife left the room but I stayed and stroked and talked to her as the vet administered the injection to put her to sleep.
Me too Primus and not for five minute either. It's the guilt that gets you most. The fact that they trust you.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Me too Primus and not for five minute either. It's the guilt that gets you most. The fact that they trust you.
Yes I know what you mean, but it’s not a decision taken lightly, in our case our cat had a tumour in her mouth and couldn’t eat properly, but you do your best for them and it’s part of being a responsible pet owner, to make that decision ( with the vets advice of course) to let them go, I’m sure all on here love and look after their pets, and when the time comes to not let them suffer.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 08:22 PM

I've always stayed with mine, the last thing Floyd did was wag his tail.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I would never leave a pet to die alone. However painful it would be/ has been, in fact, I would be there to share their final journey.
As will I.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top