Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 09:52 AM

Re: Hedgehogs

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I love to see our hedgehogs bustling about, but sadly, can't remember when I last saw a live one now.
You were lucky to see your little night time visitor Pesta.
I reckon it must be about ten years since I saw a hedgehog in the garden. Noisy little fellows.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 12:29 PM

I keep seeing one in my garden, sometimes out the back and sometimes out the front.

I'm assuming it's the same one but I don't know how it's getting between the 2 gardens as there's no gaps in the fence and I don't think it could squeeze under the gate. Maybe there's 2

I'm considering getting a Hog House just in case it wants to hibernate in my garden.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 02:38 PM

Here are a couple more informative links.

https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/the-basic-facts-2/

https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/...ehog-Homes.pdf

I have just had a peep inside my hedgehog house , and something has had a scout about.

I think it may be the hedgehog(s) as I put some mealworms in the entrance tunnel. As far as I know, only birds eat those beside the hedgehogs The hay that I put in has been spread out and no sign of the mealworms.
Mealworms they love, but they are no good for them with regard to food value , and babies don't develop their bones properly if they rely on them, Mealworms to hogs are as chocolate is to us ! I just put a sprinkling down, but now they know it's there, I won't put any more.

I also read that they can have babies in September. Think it might have been on the above links somewhere.

Hedgehog Lovers Unite.
Good luck.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 05:05 AM

I have never seen one around here. I had to google it to see what they look like. We have rabbits, squirrels, coyotes, and another little things, I can't remember the name of it right at the moment, it is very tiny.....

We have lots of woodpeckers, bluejays, and many other very pretty birds.

And snakes of course..

...I dont' have a garden, I am not a gardener, except for a small amount of flowers, I live on the edge of the forest, so I see a lot of the wild things, like wild trilliums, bleeding hearts, and other interesting things among the trees. I should get busy and take more pictures, but I am so tired and have so many medical issues, trying to stay alive, hahaha.

Maybe this week-end, I will go out and take some pictures if the weather is nice.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
I have never seen one around here. I had to google it to see what they look like. We have rabbits, squirrels, coyotes, and another little things, I can't remember the name of it right at the moment, it is very tiny.....
Mouse?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 12:24 PM

Just as an update, there is a bit more info for us. The hedgehogs will be hibernating now.
I have been feeding mine ever since summer. Last night was the first night they didn't arrive before 10pm . Regular as clockwork arrives at about 8.30pm. Always first at the dinner table, and she's very pretty . So I'm wondering if they are digging in. I have a feeling one (o more) are in my garage too, which is a pain as now it will be next year before being able to clear out the junk. Ah well, that's life !

A few more tips.

https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-...oCxPAA26mtNlOE

For anyone into thermal photography, these are recommended by People's Trust for Endangered Species. (Varying prices)
https://www.flir.co.uk/browse/profes...raphy-cameras/
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 12:29 PM

Daughters Partner had two or three hibernating in their garden. The hogs have very desirable residences & spent last Winter with them as well.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 12:48 PM

The hog in my garden visits every night now, I've been leaving food out regularly. I made a hog house and something has definitely been having a nose around inside it.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 01:46 PM

Prickly subject.............
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 02:12 PM

I am not certain whether or not I've ever actually seen a hedgehog... However, I do watch "The Incredible Doctor Pol" who is a veterinarian in northern Michigan, USA. On his show that I watched last week...someone brought their pet hedgehog to his clinic, for a checkup... OMGoodness, it was just the cutest little guy and it kept trying to hide from the vet by curling up...so adorable.

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top