Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 03:32 AM

Parking

Why do we pay for parking on land that "we" own. We have paid through taxation in it's many forms over the decades for the creation of roads.

Why then, should we have to pay to leave our cars on them? It is akin to having paid for a drive for our house to be installed and then charging myself and my wife to leave our cars on it, and paying HMRC the VAT for doing so.

As a natural extension to the point, "we" contribute towards buying land for the building of hospitals which includes a few spare acres. Why do we have to pay to park on the excess land which we have paid for? It's not as though we voluntarily take our family there for a few fun filled hours out of choice!!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 04:46 AM

Re: Parking

There is a campaign here to get all hospital parking free. Currently only pensioners get free parking in hospital parking stations but the NSW government recently reduced parking fees dramatically.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-2...o-cuts/8368518

Part of the problem is that these parking stations are privately run.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 05:12 AM

I don't mind paying to park in a hospital. What I object to is how much it costs.
I've been running a friend to Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford for chemo, the every other day to Basildon Hospital for other treatment to do with his bag he's had fitted. Broomfield charge £3.60 for 3 hours. A REAL 'pita' having to have the correct coins to hand every single time-DESPITE having a 'free parking' badge they refuse to respect. You go over that and a warden miraculously appears and slaps on a fine of £50. Basildon charges £4 for the same 3 hours...but their fine for being over the time is £75. My friend was given a permit badge to put in the windscreen as he's terminal and they do have hearts...but we go in my Land Rover, because he can get in-and-out more easily and it's MUCH less painful than being in a small car-so the fkn badge is no use as they insist it's non-transferable! We BOTH have spoken to the hospital administator at Basildon,PLUS got onto John Whittingdale's office [our local MP] but to no avail. THAT,is a bloody crime. Both my friend and myself have paid tax and national insurance all our working lifes on every penny earned. Plus all our years in uniform,a total of 34 years service between us, defending these very parasites,mean NOTHING to any of them. It's just "Gimmee yer munnee"...PAH!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 07:23 AM

I think it's an outrage that people are asked to pay to park in hospital car parks.

Last time my hubby was in hospital I had to pay £7 each day. I had to have seven £1 coins for the machine as it didnt take notes which when you need them every day is not easy...shopkeepers were looking at me daft when I went in for a paper with a £20 note and asked for all coins in the change.

It's not acceptable to cash in on folks misery....when loves ones are ill we can all do without that.

Ok....rant over
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I think it's an outrage that people are asked to pay to park in hospital car parks.

Last time my hubby was in hospital I had to pay £7 each day. I had to have seven £1 coins for the machine as it didnt take notes which when you need them every day is not easy...shopkeepers were looking at me daft when I went in for a paper with a £20 note and asked for all coins in the change.

It's not acceptable to cash in on folks misery....when loves ones are ill we can all do without that.

Ok....rant over
Hi

I agree.

Unfortunately it is only the English who pay.

So much for Equality.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 07:31 AM

It's all about putting cash into the collective coffers, it don't matter how it gets there, or how much an individual regardless of personal financial status has to contribute. Take the airport, air travel is relatively cheap nowadays, but, it is sponsored by the folks who drop the travellers off, IE, drive through the barrier, take a ticket, drop the passengers and luggage off, three minutes later arrive at the exit barrier, £2.00 please.

On the flip side, if/when the tariff rises to a tenner, we might get some quantitative easing.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It's all about putting cash into the collective coffers, it don't matter how it gets there, or how much an individual regardless of personal financial status has to contribute. Take the airport, air travel is relatively cheap nowadays, but, it is sponsored by the folks who drop the travellers off, IE, drive through the barrier, take a ticket, drop the passengers and luggage off, three minutes later arrive at the exit barrier, £2.00 please..
I can only speak for Sydney Airport but they have an Express Pickup and Drop Off area within the car park, You still take a ticket when you enter but if you are in and out within 15 minutes it is free.

I usually park a few minutes away from the airport then when the person I am picking rings to say they are at the Express Arrivals I drive in and pick them up.

They had to do something because people were picking people up and dropping them off at the departure terminal footpath so it was becoming untenable.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 10:36 AM

Apparently it is an offence to park and cause an obstruction on the Queen's highway but stick a meter in and you can pay to do it.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 11:31 AM

Parking at hospitals is free here in Wales, but trying to find a parking space is SO hard!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 11:40 AM

The way I see it is that we, the taxpayers, have either bought land outright or agreed to a long term lease (with the associated ground rent being paid for via local or national taxes). Why we then have to pay for the honour of using it is a mystery. Moreover, since many of these once free to park areas are now "managed" by privately owned companies (which "we" did not authorise nor ask for), would it be entirely unreasonable for them to at least keep the places patrolled for the purposes of security and free from litter as part of their duties?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top