Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 01:40 PM

Windows 10 Scrolling Screen Capture

I have an add-on for Google Chrome which performs this function online but I need a PC utility to do the same offline, e.g. capture a whole page of Windows Settings.

I have PicPick but I can't make it work. Snagit is nearly £50 to buy after a free trial.

Any suggestions .....
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 02:52 PM

Re: Windows 10 Scrolling Screen Capture

Omah, have you tried this, it seems to work offline:

It will save something like a full OFF page, all ten posts, as a .png in your Downloads folder.

Hold down Ctrl+Shift, hit the I key (developer menu appears) hit the P key.

Type in "screenshot" select "capture full size screenshot".

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Omah, have you tried this, it seems to work offline:

It will save something like a full OFF page, all ten posts, as a .png in your Downloads folder.

Hold down Ctrl+Shift, hit the I key (developer menu appears) hit the P key.

Type in "screenshot" select "capture full size screenshot".

Thanks .....

"Hold down Ctrl+Shift, hit the I key" doesn't bring up the developer menu in Windows Settings, though ......
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 03:37 PM

This was new to me so I tried d00ds instructions:

Ctrl+Shift+I to bring up the developer tools followed by Ctrl+Shift+P. It works in Chrome and in other Chrome-based browsers too. You have to focus the cursor on the browser Window for the second step to work.

It doesn't work in Firefox but this does:

Firefox has a 'Page actions' option in the Address Bar. 'Take a screenshot' is listed there. Clicking that shows an option to save a full screen.

I found PicPick a bit iffy to use for this action too.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

21-11-2019, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
This was new to me so I tried d00ds instructions:

Ctrl+Shift+I to bring up the developer tools followed by Ctrl+Shift+P. It works in Chrome and in other Chrome-based browsers too. You have to focus the cursor on the browser Window for the second step to work.

It doesn't work in Firefox but this does:

Firefox has a 'Page actions' option in the Address Bar. 'Take a screenshot' is listed there. Clicking that shows an option to save a full screen.

I found PicPick a bit iffy to use for this action too.
I don't need the facility for an online browser - in Google Chrome I have the Full Page Screen Cature Add-On.

As I mentioned in the OP, I need a PC utility to do the same thing in an offline application, e.g. Windows Settings. Currently, I can perform individual screen captures using one of several methods then "stitch" them together on, say, an A4 sheet, but, for dozens (sometimes hundreds) of sheets, it's time-consuming, especially if cropping and resizing are required.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2019, 06:14 PM

Sorry Omah, I got the wrong end of the stick for a minute. Below is a capture of a scrolling window. It's a list of options in Windows 10's settings that more than fills the screen. I think I found the secret of getting PicPick to do it..

When you open PicPick, select the 'Scrolling Window option and go to the window (or list) you want to capture.

Put the cursor to where you'd normally go to close the window or maximise/minimise it. A small red-outlined box appears called 'auto scroll'

Click and hold the mouse in that box and drag the cursor to very near the bottom of the window, then release it and wait for a while.

The window should start to scroll on its own and when the bottom is reached, the capture completes and it can be saved.

Just to confuse matters a bit, the small auto-scroll box can appear at the top left of the window and not the right. Just grab it and drag it wherever it is. The box doesn't move but still drag the mouse cursor to near the bottom on the window.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

21-11-2019, 07:00 PM

Hi Mart

I've been following your instructions and I can get PicPick to perform a scrolling screen capture on a standard Windows folder listing and on an Excel spreadsheet but, when the method is applied to Windows Settings, it works for most screens but not some, and definitely not System/Notification & Actions - only the Active Window is captured.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

21-11-2019, 09:04 PM

I can't get that to work either Omah. I'm trying to figure out what I did last time to get it to work when it doesn't now. Maybe PicPick is a bit buggy in that department.

I don't know of any Windows tricks that will do the job.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

21-11-2019, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I can't get that to work either Omah. I'm trying to figure out what I did last time to get it to work when it doesn't now. Maybe PicPick is a bit buggy in that department.

I don't know of any Windows tricks that will do the job.
Actually, as long as it works for some screens then I can use it and perhaps discover how to get consistent results.

Many thanks for the assistance .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

21-11-2019, 09:47 PM

I just came across and open source program called 'Sharex'. It works every time on that 'notifications' window I did the screenshot of. It has lots of options. The ones immediately noticeable were the need to set the save options. As the name suggests it wants to share (I think) but this can be stopped. Just need to read the options. After capture, set the margins to avoid clipping at the edges.

I think you might have to uninstall PicPick first because both programs use the same keyboard shortcuts. Sharex gave a message about that when I installed it, so I did uninstall PicPick.

See what you think.

https://getsharex.com/

Edit: Just ought to mention that all options are found when the icon near the clock is right-clicked on.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top