Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 10:03 AM

Re: Windows 10 - Opening Photos

I've used Imgur since closing my Photobucket account (prices were too high for me). That must be a few years ago now and Imgur has been OK so far.

I reckon it is better to edit photos and images an before uploading them to any image hosting site. This way file sizes can be optimised to make sure that uploaded photos are fast to load when viewed in people's browsers.

I notice the image displayed by Besoeker is 3,868.64 KB (or 3.8 MB approx.) in file size. Pixel size is 5,184 × 3,456 (scaled to 675px × 450px by the forum software). This is very large for a photo uploaded the Internet. I usually process mine using an image editor before uploading in order to make the file size below 300 KB and the image display size 675 pixels wide. I know this is the size that the forum software cuts an image down to.

I think that although it cuts down the physical display size to 675 x 450 pixels, the full file size still is downloaded to the forum and the browser.

Processing before uploading probably isn't so important as it once was because people have faster Internet connections these days and even large file size images can download to the browser and display fairly quickly. However, large file size images could take a while to show completely for those who live in parts of the country/world where only slow connections are possible.

Also, why have nearly 4 megabytes of data flowing on the Internet servers and backbone when 300 kilobytes will do and be just as good? While this might not be thought worthwhile, every little bit helps to keep the speed of the Internet up.

If images are processed before uploading, there is more control on image size and file size. I know XnView is a capable editor as are many others.

Edit: Typo

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top