Join for free
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2013, 05:53 PM

The Gardening Year 2013

Our gardening year has just started today. We called into the local discount cash and carry today for some household cleaners and happened to see their gardening section just being set up. I'm sorry but I couldn't resist having a look and had to buy some first early seed potatoes, and some shallot and onion sets. Mrs P. bought some lily bulbs and a new planter... aren't we weak..
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2013, 06:25 PM

Re: The Gardening Year 2013

Sainsburys are starting to stock these items as well Barry in the front part of my local store. I might be buying some seed pots too as well soon
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2013, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
Sainsburys are starting to stock these items as well Barry in the front part of my local store. I might be buying some seed pots too as well soon
Yes Val, best buy them quickly before they all get snapped up...
I've put mine on trays and will leave them in the potting shed to chit for three or four weeks and then plant them late February. Now the ground has unfrozen I'll get the onion and shallot sets planted and net them over for a few weeks to stop the birds from pulling them out..

Luckily I turned the beds over and sprinkled some general purpose fertilizer over them last back end, so we should be all ready to go when the weather warms up a little more...
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2013, 07:41 PM

Hi Barry, for many years now I've started off my onion sets in a seed tray and planted them in the garden when they've got good roots. It seems to work well as they always get moving quickly and don't get pulled out of the ground by the birds.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

29-01-2013, 08:41 PM

Good idea is that Alan, I'll give it a try I think..
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2013, 09:15 PM

No Barry, not weakness...I've bought lily bulbs and pots too, plus a pair of small snips that are just the right size for my small hands...it's very exciting, can't wait to start planting flower seeds too.
I have also bought two sacking type grow beds for either the greenhouse or pergola, (according to weather) for salad crop.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2013, 12:23 AM

It's nice to look ahead during the dark winter days to a time when we will be out in the gardens again

I bought my runner beans on line last week and have ordered a grafted tomato plant 'Elegance' which has a lovely flavour , it will arrive in May

Lets hope we get some good gardening weather this year...
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2013, 10:19 AM

I'm not doing much this year as the house will be going on the market in April/May but in reality I expect to be in Watford all summer so will do some pots, tomatoes and hanging baskets. I do my pots in bags so no soil turning for me and it also means when they are ready I just tip them out and you don't get them damaged with the fork. I think the bags are a great idea and I would get more rather than grow directly in the ground.
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2013, 05:13 PM

Barry, if you are not already a member can I recommend a forum I have belonged to for more years than I care to remember called Gardeners Corner. It covers every inch of gardening you can imagine and it certainly makes you feel as though you are not alone trying to get the better of this weather when it comes to gardening.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

20-02-2013, 07:13 PM

Moyra, my apologies for missing your last post but better late than never they say...

I don't actually belong to a gardening forum, I tend just to find a forum when I need to find a solution to a problem... so maybe it's time I looked in on that one, thanks..

I succumbed to temptation this afternoon and set seed for my tomatoes and sweet peppers, which I left on the windowsill in the spare room, and I will prick them out and move them into the conservatory in a couple of weeks where I will grow them on until the greenhouse is warm enough in April or early May.

Happy days....

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top