Join for free
Page 4 of 32 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2014, 07:32 PM

Re: Judy Finnegan

I agree with Aerolor rape is rape there are no degrees imo

"As defined under law in England and Wales -
"Rape itself is an act of violence.
Rape is the violation of a woman's (or child, or man's) body. It is the forced insertion of a penis into a bodily orifice without consent"

Also - This from the Rape Crisis website

Myth
The woman was drunk / took drugs / was hitch hiking / wore tight clothes / worked in the sex industry / seduced him / probably got what she was asking for.

Fact If a person is unconscious or their judgement is impaired by alcohol or drugs, legally they are unable to give consent. Having non-consensual sex with a person who is intoxicated is rape.

Rapists use a variety of excuses to attempt to discredit the women they rape and to justify their crimes. But no-one asks or deserves to be raped or sexually assaulted and 100% of the responsibility for any act of sexual violence lies with its perpetrator.

That says it all for me.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2014, 08:01 PM

It really doesn't say it all for me, the fact only penetration with a penis counts makes it nonsense. Anyone who has been raped with an object I am sure would agree that can be more damaging by far.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2014, 08:06 PM

If the penis is not part of consensual sex, then it is an object - and can do a lot of damage!!
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2014, 08:12 PM

I'm split on this one between wanting to defend Finnegan's right to say whatever she wants and the fact that as others have said, rape is a horrendous crime surrounded by appalling statistics - apparently there are still only 7% of reported cases that end in conviction, my goodness the courage it must take to report it, and then all the mud is slung at you. I don't think it should matter if a girl wears short skirts or gets drunk, and I speak as someone who loathes alcohol and its effects, a man should never take advantage of a women against her consent, and if she isn't in a state to consent he shouldn't touch her. And there's never a level playing field because we will never be as strong as men. Therefore I think that really it was right for her to apologise, as she has, because anything that encourages men to think they can get away with it or encourages to people to say 'it's her fault - she's asking for it' just perpetuates the misogynistic culture that creates rape. Predictably, Finnegan's daughter is now being targeted with 'revenge' rape threats, lord help us.

Interesting figures on rape: "An Amnesty poll in 2005 showed a third of Britons believe a woman who acts flirtatiously is to blame for being raped- more than a quarter also believe a woman is partly or fully responsible for being raped if she wears sexy or revealing clothing, or is drunk, the study found. Only 4% of the British public thought that there were more than 10,000 women raped in the UK every year. The figure of reported rapes in 2005 was 12,000 - thought to be around 15% of actual rapes committed.
(This week the Office for National Statistics show a worrying rise in the use of knives when rape is committed.)" That's pretty terrifying.
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2014, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
There is another current thread about 'first groups you went to see' and I mentioned having been invited backstage and then to a groups hotel late at night.
It was probably all very innocent but I didn't go because my common sense told me it was best not too.
I think we all have a responsibility to use our common sense to make choices with a view to staying safe.
Somehow I think you'd have been OK with the Spinners Meg - the Stones might have been a different kettle of fish!
Even my boring unadventurous youth featured a couple of dodgy going-back-to-rooms when friends wanted moral support in situations that make me quake thinking about it now. How many young girls have common sense? Nothing excuses the violence of sexual violation. Why is it always the woman who is supposed to be the temptress and the one who should exercise control? This goes back to Eve!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2014, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
If the penis is not part of consensual sex, then it is an object - and can do a lot of damage!!
No one is disagreeing with that, and that's the problem with trying to talk sensibly about this people make up what they want the other person to mean.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2014, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Roseredlee ->
Nothing excuses the violence of sexual violation. Why is it always the woman who is supposed to be the temptress and the one who should exercise control? This goes back to Eve!
Rosemary I agree and make no excuses for men who commit rape and a woman should be able to do as she wants and wear whatever she likes (or nothing at all ) without being touched .

However, as we women usually lack the physical strength to repel a man we owe it to ourselves not to put ourselves in compromising positions.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2014, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
No one is disagreeing with that, and that's the problem with trying to talk sensibly about this people make up what they want the other person to mean.
But in your previous post you said ''an object can do far more damage''
I'm really not being argumentative, a woman can be raped with a bottle but rape is rape and no one rape is better or worse than another, from the point of view of the rapist - in my opinion.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

19-10-2014, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
But in your previous post you said ''an object can do far more damage''
I'm really not being argumentative, a woman can be raped with a bottle but rape is rape and no one rape is better or worse than another, from the point of view of the rapist - in my opinion.
All I will say is I have personal experience I know what did more harm to me and what I feel is worse.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2014, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
All I will say is I have personal experience I know what did more harm to me and what I feel is worse.
As you say - your personal experience, which is not a guidebook for everyone else ..........
Good night Julie

Page 4 of 32 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top