Join for free
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 11:34 AM

Re: oops No top gear (the Jeremy Clarksons debate)

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That man's head's almost too big to shut the car door. Can't stand the gobby old git.
Same here, and I'd be more than happy for him to fade into oblivion, thought I guess pigs will fly before that happens...
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That man's head's almost too big to shut the car door. Can't stand the gobby old git.
I totally agree. I don't watch 'Top Gear', having no interest in metal boxes on wheels - but - a few years ago I saw this Clarkson person on 'Who do You Think you are' and he was thoroughly objectionable. It baffled me as to why he had taken part as he was totally uninterested in what the researchers found. Apparently his ancestors were involved in the inventing of 'Kilner Jars' - but all he kept on asking was 'Is there any money?' or 'Is there a title?'. He came across as totally egocentric and avaricious.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 11:52 AM

I must admit I do see his remarks as sacarsim and often at his own expense..

I heard the slope on the bridge comment but I thought *In mathematics, the slope or gradient of a line is a number that describes both the direction and the steepness of the line* (wiki)

I never knew it to be a racial insult and one has to wonder about the motive of the production team who kept that comment in if they knew it to be racially slanted.

His shoot them all comment I heard as a knock at the people who dare protest that public sector workers had the audacity to go on strike... As in ... oh well lets just line em up and shoot em then..In a kind of colonel blimp parody..

I think it may be the way he delivers things that causes such problems rather than what he is really saying... After all when Steven Fry blasted God he was applauded for it world wide as is Russell Brand everytime he opens his mouth..
These three are persons known to be outspoken and non PC but of course if people really cant stand them there is always an off button.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 12:04 PM

Never heard Steven Fry or Russel Brand say anything close to racist, they may be out spoken but they are not offensive to minorities. I have seen Russel go out of his way to help homeless people at a cost to himself, I can't imagine Clarkson doing it though.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Note similar scenarios where less money is involved. Chris Evans "I won't work Fridays" nonsense. Not that much money hanging off his show so off he goes. The Jonathon Ross episode. No actual money generated by that show so off he goes.
And they have turned up on other media, seems that the great unwashed British public can not get enough. Can't stand either of them but as you say Clarkson is a money machine for the BBC and they certainly need him more than he needs them. As you also say a bit of fake humility from all sides and back on the road again
Agent
north east
Agent is male  Agent has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 01:51 PM

Well like him or loath him he's a money spinner, and seems ITV and SKY may be on the point of a bidding war for his services, starting at £10 million !!

For myself I quite like his non PC, no nonsense approach. Breath of fresh air.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 02:14 PM

Well if non pc means saying racist things I am happy we have a more pc approach these days.
Agent
north east
Agent is male  Agent has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well if non pc means saying racist things I am happy we have a more pc approach these days.
Good for you.
Agent
north east

11-03-2015, 02:54 PM

Seems that there has been over 300000 signatures in a petition to get him reinstated and that's in about 24 hrs.

I just hope he sticks 2 fingers up at old auntie BBC and moves on.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 02:58 PM

Theres nowt as queer as folk

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top