Join for free
Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 10:00 PM

Re: Diplomatic Immunity

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Two things.

#1 is that astounding numbers of unpaid parking fines imposed but rejected or simply ignored by so many Embassy staff in London alone.

#2 I have a cousin who is a member of the diplomatic corps who is one of the sods that collects parking tickets almost like a hobby.

Other than parking tickets...anything else?
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

14-10-2019, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
You would have thought so,wouldn't you....but who knows.
I know so -

The Road Traffic Act 1988 defines causing death by dangerous driving as:

‘A person who causes death of another person by driving a mechanically propelled vehicle dangerously on a road or other public place is guilty of an offence.’
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 11:33 PM

I've been reading this thread with interest. No intention to comment about the finer points of UK traffic law. I have driven there. I stayed on the left side of the road and stuck to the rules so it was uneventful in terms of police contact thankfully. Unlike my experience in the US THe only thing I will say is that whatever else is involved it seems that diplomatic immunity allowed this person to escape the UK legal system by leaving the country under it's terms. That is. she escaped facing natural justice - being accountable for her actions. Regardless of the finer points of the issue I think it is just plain wrong. I have always thought diplomatic immunity was a croc. I don't want to be interrogated on this. It's just an opinion.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 04:03 AM

Other than parking tickets...anything else?
Parking ticket abuse is the indicator of the extent to which those having diplomatic immunity do and get away with quite literally anything. They are totally above the law unless their home country choses to withdraw their status. It is a unique status.

Under DI the ONLY sanction that can be imposed is the declaration of people or groups of people being having their diplomatic status withdrawn and being declared to be PNG and expelled.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 06:15 AM

[QUOTE=The Artful Todger;1800977]Parking ticket abuse is the indicator of the extent to which those having diplomatic immunity do and get away with quite literally anything.

I don't believe that..unless you have concrete evidence .
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 08:31 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomatic_immunity is a starting point
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

15-10-2019, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomatic_immunity is a starting point
I know what it means,Dextrous...At...was making assumptions..just what "he" believes to be true..
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 08:42 AM

[QUOTE=pauline3;1800985]
Parking ticket abuse is the indicator of the extent to which those having diplomatic immunity do and get away with quite literally anything.

Pauline it is true .
Diplomatic cars have special licence numbers .
They are called Diplomatic plates .
They are exempt from parking fines.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 08:42 AM

[QUOTE=pauline3;1800985]
Parking ticket abuse is the indicator of the extent to which those having diplomatic immunity do and get away with quite literally anything.

If you really can't believe how diplomatic immunity is routinely abused then I'm amazed.

OK abuses of DI are hardly publicised however how often have you read about expulsion of groups of diplomats when spying cases are involved? And what those "diplomats" had been up to before their cover was blown.

One particular case of abuse was when a bunch of savages with diplomatic immunity from the London Iranian embassy took a sheep and slaughtered it in the street for some islamic feast. Nothing could be done and so nothing was done.

Not paying rent, not abiding by the lease of property, smoking on planes, immunity from customs examination the list is endless. Then there's the diplomatic bag. That can be a bloody shipping container and in the case of one poor sod killed in the Saudi embassy while it probably wasn't a shipping container must have been bloody as his dismantled corpse was got rid of.

I'm honestly surprised if people don't realise to just what extent diplomatic immunity is being routinely abused.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2019, 08:44 AM

I am too AD

Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top