Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 06:48 PM

Re: Politically correct acting

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I saw this story in the paper a few days ago but couldn't bring myself to start a thread on it. It is just too ridiculous. Colour Blind casting they call it (yes, unfortunately it has a title, so bandwagoneeers take note).

As for David Jason playing Nelson Mandela..... there would be uproar.
I have great respect for Nelson Mandela but would never watch a film where a white man played him.... it would be an insult to what that man endured to get equality for his people!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I have great respect for Nelson Mandela but would never watch a film where a white man played him.... it would be an insult to what that man endured to get equality for his people!
It wouldn't be allowed anyway. I get the feeling that 'Colour blind casting' only works one way.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's how I feel too Pixie.

Also, kids watching that will write at school about Henry VIII marrying a black wife.
Its all wrong and distorts history IMO.
I watched a recent production on tv of Chekov’s Uncle Vanya . It starred black actress Rosalind Eleazar as Yelena . It didn’t sit right with me .
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It’s all bollards.
Spot on!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 08:46 PM

We're getting into deeper very muddy murky waters with wokeness. Most only interested in the social kudos by being seen to be woke.
Tubby
East Anglia
Tubby is male 

23-02-2021, 08:58 PM

We have white actors voicing coloured characters in the Simpsons - no hang on they are changing them
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 09:09 PM

I suppose if the words are a bit difficult, the appearance starts to take precedence, But in my opinion, as long as the actor is up to the role it really doesn't matter.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 09:53 PM

All this PC nonsense makes me cross. The only time I have ever walked out of a cinema mid film was because I could not cope with Judi Dench's appalling attempt at an Irish accent in 'Philomena' - an insult to the Irish if ever there was one. Why not use an Irish actress - there are enough of them about.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 09:59 PM

A casting cock up, unforgiveable.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2021, 10:53 PM

Isn't it usually the white people who are are accused of racial or cultural misappropriation?
This latest offering just indicates to me that the current generation of artistic directors, producers and even the actors haven't a clue/don't give a scooby and are so far removed from any reality as to make historical facts irrelevant. IMO they just want to create something a bit different - and if it is at the expense of their art or history they don't care as long as they get the exposure. The actress should be thinking more carefully as IMO she is doing her race no favours at all- just for a moment in the starlight - very sad.
They must take us all for fools, or perhaps there is more to this than I am seeing.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top