Join for free
Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >
ezduzit
USofA
ezduzit is male 

17-06-2021, 09:55 PM

Re: When will GPs, dentists, Councils get back to normal?

America's health care system does need an overhaul.

I saw a story on '60 Minutes' six or so years ago about a famous hospital in Thailand where not only did they have top-notch surgeons, but at prices so low, people from here were flying their for their surgeries, and still found it economically feasible to do so.

A dozen or so years ago I was searching for a new doctor to be my primary care physician.
Choosing one from scratch is difficult, even (especially) if you read online reviews.

I narrowed it down to several, but opted for a doctor that had the same last name as my first or second doctor when I was a baby...WRONG!

It was an early morning appointment and he apparently just arrived, and he was definitely on some kind of stimulant, as he knocked on my door, opened it, stuck his head inside the door and very quickly and jovially said 'Hi, I'm doctor so and so, I'll be with you shortly'.
Closed the door and blurted out the same speech to two other patients that I could hear.
I then got a sinking feeling in my stomach and realized I had made a big mistake!

Back to my dentists here (and bashing dentists is not my objective)... when they are waiting for your novocaine to take effect for ten minutes or your crown to set, what else are they supposed to do, go back in their office and hopefully do paperwork or surf the web?
They certainly have other patients sitting in chairs, and I don't know of a dentist who will only do one patient at a time...average time for a visit is ninety minutes, from their perspective, that's only seven patients a day at best, in an eight hour day plus lunch break.

Heck, I've had some three hour appointments (and so have others I'm guessing) with 'almost through' being said several times throughout!

Back to the gloves one last time for me, I swear.

What are the odds that whenever they leave my room to do something/someone else they change their gloves in that room after leaving mine, AND, they change their gloves in that room before entering mine, I'd have to see them changing there gloves at least once during a coming into or going out of my room since the started wearing gloves decades ago...

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the actual safety issue of the above practice, but I can't debate that you have more honorable medical practices in your countries, as I don't live there.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by ezduzit ->
Back to my dentists here (and bashing dentists is not my objective)... when they are waiting for your novocaine to take effect for ten minutes or your crown to set, what else are they supposed to do, go back in their office and hopefully do paperwork or surf the web?
They certainly have other patients sitting in chairs, and I don't know of a dentist who will only do one patient at a time...average time for a visit is ninety minutes, from their perspective, that's only seven patients a day at best, in an eight hour day plus lunch break.
Let's hope all the work is necessary.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 06:10 AM

My dentist has been open for ages infact I have an appointment later today..granted I'm in a private plan so maybe that's different to NHS

As far as the NHS generally is concerned I have very little confidence in it when my family needed it it was hopeless and uncaring we had to seek expensive alternatives....they have done well with the vaccination roll out though that has been well organised
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
My dentist has been open for ages infact I have an appointment later today..granted I'm in a private plan so maybe that's different to NHS

As far as the NHS generally is concerned I have very little confidence in it when my family needed it it was hopeless and uncaring we had to seek expensive alternatives....they have done well with the vaccination roll out though that has been well organised
I think I mentioned earlier that my dentist is open and has been since February. The practice is now run by Bupa, though I am still seen as an NHS patient and am not required to pay private rates or have dental insurance.

Perhaps I'm just lucky, because I hear that some practices are still not seeing their patients.

The question about GPs remains: if dentists are able to see patients - literally face to face - why not GPs?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 12:11 PM

Having had dental treatment during lockdown, I was impressed by the level of cleanliness and PPE that the dentist and his nurse wore. Even in reception there was one in, one out, no seats, and everything was wiped down between appointments or phonecalls. Anti-bac and wipes were available free, and the dentist didn't leave the room until I left. Changed his gloves twice.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I think I mentioned earlier that my dentist is open and has been since February. The practice is now run by Bupa, though I am still seen as an NHS patient and am not required to pay private rates or have dental insurance.

Perhaps I'm just lucky, because I hear that some practices are still not seeing their patients.

The question about GPs remains: if dentists are able to see patients - literally face to face - why not GPs?
Probably because a dentist can't fix your teeth over the phone or video link.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Totally agree JBR. I say the same as you.

I am beginning to think there is more to this than we are being told.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 09:34 PM

Dentists are not part of the NHS.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I think you’ll find they are, Bread....

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/dent...ental-charges/
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
SOME dentists are not. Others are, many have private and NHS patients.

Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top