Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 07:40 PM

Re: Carl Sagan

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Same here. With basic tools and an enquiring mind - who would have thought that the bottom of a well to the south of Alexandria could be seen at midday and columns cast no shadows and cause Eratosthenes to do an experiment to see if the same applied at midday in Alexandria. It didn't, so he deduced that the Earth was curved and set out to prove it.
The only thing that I still don't get is how Eratosthenes knew when midday was in comparison to whatever distance it was away from the other place?

I would have thought that midday was kinda measured at both places as being the precise moment at which the sun was directly overhead and there were no shadows. To my knowledge, they didn't have phones nor indeed accurate watches back then, so how did he know at all, yet alone precisely, when "simultaneous" was??
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
The only thing that I still don't get is how Eratosthenes knew when midday was in comparison to whatever distance it was away from the other place?

I would have thought that midday was kinda measured at both places as being the precise moment at which the sun was directly overhead and there were no shadows. To my knowledge, they didn't have phones nor indeed accurate watches back then, so how did he know at all, yet alone precisely, when "simultaneous" was??
It was midsummer's day when the sun cast no shadow south of Alexandria because the sun was directly overhead, but cast a shadow on midsummer's day in Alexandria. If Alexandria and the other place were on the same latitude, no shadow would be seen at either location, but the other place was further south.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 08:41 PM

It was midsummer's day when the sun cast no shadow south of Alexandria because the sun was directly overhead, but cast a shadow on midsummer's day in Alexandria. If Alexandria and the other place were on the same latitude, no shadow would be seen at either location, but the other place was further south.
Gotcha. He must have had a very good memory to remember that there wasn't a shadow in a place he'd been at exactly 365 days (or a multiple thereof) before. Guess that's one of the benefits of not having tv's to distract him.
Roj Blake
London,UK
Roj Blake is male 

15-07-2021, 08:43 PM

Carl Sagan and Patrick Moore both got me interested in astronomy and sci-fi as a kid and I've still got the Cosmos book.

I think there was a rebooted series of Cosmos made by the National Geographic Channel tv a while back.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 08:46 PM

Gotcha. He must have had a very good memory to remember that there wasn't a shadow in a place he'd been at exactly 365 days (or a multiple thereof) before. Guess that's one of the benefits of not having tv's to distract him.
He didn't need one, it was written on a scroll sent to the library.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

15-07-2021, 08:56 PM

He didn't need one, it was written on a scroll sent to the library.
I think I need to watch that Sagan clip. I obviously missed the finer points of detail.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

15-07-2021, 09:01 PM

I think I need to watch that Sagan clip. I obviously missed the finer points of detail.
It may be prudent.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

15-07-2021, 09:03 PM

It may be prudent.
Or, I might have a look in the book. It's 6' away from where I'm currently sitting.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 09:40 PM

I was enthralled when Sagan said "The cosmos is also within us, we're made of star stuff."

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top