Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 05:52 PM

Mould

Just wondering if anybody here has any tips on how to store items "mould free" in a built in wardrobe on an outside wall.

Its in my spare bedroom and I must admit I haven't looked in there for a long time until today and found shoes and a few other items stored on the floor covered in mould. There's no mould on the wall just the items on the floor.

I've had to shift things around in the spare room today and am now storing other items, mainly paper stuff in baskets on the floor in the wardrobe and wondered if there's anything I should do as I really don't want any more mould.

There are clothes hanging on a rail and they seem ok.

Any help or advice will be very much appreciated
Thanks
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 05:57 PM

Re: Mould

Someone else please help on this way as I have the same problem.

Marpaul ... do you mean the soft furry looking light green type?
I kind of keep mine under control by using these containers you buy which you place condensation crystals in which absorb the moisture and turn to water.
They do help a lot but I'm always on the lookout for something better.
Anyone come across anything silica based like those sachets they pop in new handbags, but larger?
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 06:17 PM

I had this problem with our built in wardrobes and got rid of them,its the cold from the outside wall and the doors being shut. Now I have my clothes in hanging bags with zippers on them, and i dont store paper as this attracts damp. We have those canvas wardrobes from Argos, not attractive but they dont harber the damp.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 06:32 PM

This problem only really occurs when the outer walls are solid and therefore have no thermal resistance value. The moisture from the warm air within the built in wardrobe will condense on the cold wall, and the lack of ventilation gives the ideal breeding ground for fungal spores. The only answer is to ventilate the area or use an ordinary wardrobe with a back, which would then insulate the inside area of the wardrobe from the coldness of the wall...
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 06:38 PM

I hasten to add that I live in a wooden home, a mobile home, not a caravan and the walls are cold although we have central heating, its the warm air hitting the cold air.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 06:39 PM

This is going to throw a spanner in the works.

I have the problem and it's on an inside wall.
I'm always on guard for condensation. I blame double glazing.
You're right there though plantman .... the lack of air movement and inadequate ventilation doesn't help.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

08-04-2012, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
I hasten to add that I live in a wooden home, a mobile home, not a caravan and the walls are cold although we have central heating, its the warm air hitting the cold air.
Wow ... bit off topic, so sorry ... but a wooden home? I like the sound of that annie. I envy you.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria

08-04-2012, 06:53 PM

yes they are very easy to use after bricks and mortor,2 beds a kitchen, bathroom dining room and longe, it is 20 ft wide and 36 ft long, very cold in winter. I will try to put some pics on my profile.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria

08-04-2012, 06:56 PM

Sorry forgot I lost them when I changed to windows 7
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

08-04-2012, 07:05 PM

Ah .. that's a shame. I would loved to have seen them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top