Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 12:03 PM

Re: I Had Never Heard Of NC 500...

I'd love to cycle the route over say 14 days staying at guest houses, hotels or B&B's.
I doubt whether it will happen, I don't even know if I'm still capable... But if anyone fancies having a go, I'll give it a damn good try.....
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Morons .....

They get everywhere nowadays .....
Aye, Your not wrong there.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I'd love to cycle the route over say 14 days staying at guest houses, hotels or B&B's.
I doubt whether it will happen, I don't even know if I'm still capable... But if anyone fancies having a go, I'll give it a damn good try.....
I think you'd find it a bit of a challenge Foxy. But then your fit so maybe not. This is just a wee bit of it..

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I think you'd find it a bit of a challenge Foxy. But then your fit so maybe not. This is just a wee bit of it..

Yes, a couple of selfish morons features on that film.
Plenty of passing places, but no, I think I'll just stop here in the middle of the road and enjoy the view - with a layby right next to me!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

02-12-2020, 01:43 PM

The worst I've come across was big Camper Van parked up in a Passing Place and two couples had set up a folding table n chairs and were having a meal.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 07:35 PM

Art, Please don't listen to the ones who don't live in Scotland and really have no idea what goes on, they make most of it up as they go.
I live on the top coast, right in the middle of the NC500 and know first hand what's what here. The roads are too narrow for how it's being used now, a lot of it is single track and during the summer months it turns into the Wacky Races, with people driving far too fast and causing accidents, parking where they shouldn't and leaving a hell of a mess behind them. It's go nothing whatsoever to do with the SNP or their supporters. It's the locals who are the ones who are sick of it. This News item is Durness, a quiet wee sleepy hamlet on the north coast, who gets over run every year with people who think they can just come up here and do what they want, park where they want and drive off to the next village they want to stop at and do it all again. The Highlanders, myself included, are welcoming to tourists who respect us and our communities. Ask yourself if you'd like this mess in your back yard, because we certainly don't.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...lands-53713593

Totally irresponsible imo.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 12:28 PM

I think there is no better way to see nature than getting up close and personal Roxy. Vehicles are all right to get from 'A' to 'B' but to really savour the scenery you need to be running, walking, or cycling.

It certainly would be a challenge for me now but it comes out about 36 miles a day, and I would consider that doable in my present state of decomposition.... There are some decent climbs, but I've rode through the Lake District and the dales in the past, so I might be a bit slower, but at least I know what's coming.

Someone driving backup would be essential, as would a stay in a good hotel at the end of the day, providing a good hot shower and more importantly some good food. A ride like that would demand at least 500 calories per day....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 11:54 AM

Art, Please don't listen to the ones who don't live in Scotland and really have no idea what goes on, they make most of it up as they go.
I live on the top coast, right in the middle of the NC500 and know first hand what's what here. The roads are too narrow for how it's being used now, a lot of it is single track and during the summer months it turns into the Wacky Races, with people driving far too fast and causing accidents, parking where they shouldn't and leaving a hell of a mess behind them. It's go nothing whatsoever to do with the SNP or their supporters. It's the locals who are the ones who are sick of it. This News item is Durness, a quiet wee sleepy hamlet on the north coast, who gets over run every year with people who think they can just come up here and do what they want, park where they want and drive off to the next village they want to stop at and do it all again. The Highlanders, myself included, are welcoming to tourists who respect us and our communities. Ask yourself if you'd like this mess in your back yard, because we certainly don't.

Roxy, Thank You so much for that very informative post and video clip too. I didn’t realise you lived so far up in Scotland.
The clip you posted showed how very beautiful and natural that area is. I bet the air is lovely and healthy too!

I can imagine you would get some very ignorant visitors who have no regard for anything or anyone else but l suppose they can’t change a habit of a lifetime!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I think there is no better way to see nature than getting up close and personal Roxy. Vehicles are all right to get from 'A' to 'B' but to really savour the scenery you need to be running, walking, or cycling.

It certainly would be a challenge for me now but it comes out about 36 miles a day, and I would consider that doable in my present state of decomposition.... There are some decent climbs, but I've rode through the Lake District and the dales in the past, so I might be a bit slower, but at least I know what's coming.

Someone driving backup would be essential, as would a stay in a good hotel at the end of the day, providing a good hot shower and more importantly some good food. A ride like that would demand at least 500 calories per day....
Foxy, Are you really considering doing this as a cycling holiday?
Well, l have to say, l really admire you but make sure you keep those leggies warm!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 12:53 PM

Thanks for this, Roxy. It shows the other side of things to ensure we have a true idea of what it's like.
We drive slowly and safely, and certainly don't park stupidly blocking access for others.
I've shown it to Marge. We still intend to visit the Highlands and probably some of the north coastal areas, but I'd prefer not to drive all the way round that route; instead, just pick out some interesting individual places.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top